Quantcast
What are good resources for learning plating. Especially spoon work.

Thread: What are good resources for learning plating. Especially spoon work.

What are good resources for learning plating. Especially spoon work.

Need to play some catch up at my new job. What are some good videos or learning resources for learning plating techniques. Especially spoon work.

Any other tips are very welcome.

Thanks for your time.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Practice,
    I needed to learn how to rocher icecream so I could move into the pastry section of the place I was working. So over the weekend I bought 4L of icecream, brought it to the right temperature, and practiced, when it got too soft I stick it back in the freezer, when it set I started again. Probably spent about 3-4 hours over the weekend, but I got it, moved sections the next week.

As for spoon plating do you mean smears and such of purées or quenelles? Once again practice is the key. Also speed, the faster you move the spoon, the more even the lines will be.

Grant Achatz plating dessert on the table is cool to watch, plenty of fancy spoon work in those videos.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WT1p4gSdzb0
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I agree with Huw here, practice is key, you tube some chefs or restaurants you like and watch them plate. I also find antique spoons with there deep bowls and pointed tips are my personal favorite for plating.
    Ken

There are a couple of books on Amazonsky but I know nothing about them. (Don't you just love that: I don't know, but I will tell you.) Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

practice...with everything. every sauce behaves differently, purees etc. even different thickness will change how things behave. if you have extra sauce puree etc just practice plating when you have downtime most chefs would probably not discourage such activities.

Plate the same dish about a thousand times. Huw's suggestion of practicing at home is a good one. It's probably what I'll have to do if I ever do food that isn't fairly rustic again. My spoon game is pretty lame these days, but I'm also not a big fan of making ( or eating) food with that sort of plating.