Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fired for my work related injury

Fired for my work related injury

Today the workers comp lady calls to tell me I'm fired. How nice. My boss couldn't even call to tell me. I guess I'll get even by filing for unemployment....but damn I wish he'd have had the decency to call. Sure maybe he needed to let me go anyway, or maybe he needed to get somebody to fill in.

I called months ago and never got a phone call...post surgery no phone call. I just wish I'd have been fired with some sense of communication. I can't prove that he fired me directly for the injury so I'm not legally able to sue.

Be Careful with your damn knives

Dude. That really sucks. Get some unemployment while you finish healing up, it's there to help with things like that.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

What a shame!!! The reality of the foodservice business rears its ugly head once again. Stay positive and start firing out those resumes.
    Good food is essential, where knives are an integral part of the process.

The lack of communications part sucks.
    The other side of the coin is that they probably just needed someone to perform the tasks that you did.
    Unemployment might not pay you if you are physically unable to work yet. So I would make sure you do what is needed to keep the workers compensation coming in.
    and.....if you don't burn your bridges you might be able to return to the old job when you heal.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

My comments about the unemployment and workers comp benefits are based on what I went through years back in Washington state. I am sure things vary from state to state. My situation the employer would not let me return to work until I had a Dr's release. The Dr. was saying that I was permanently disabled. So I just found a job somewhere else and didn't say anything about the previous injury.
    Now when I look back, if I would have signed the papers for permanent disability there would have been months when I would have earned more. But I am/was stubborn and determined to earn my money instead of someone saying that I can't take care of myself so the state should.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Federal law (Family and medical leave act) requires an employer keep you on for 10 weeks from the day you go out on leave. It is required that you communicate with your employer the whole way through though. "Out for two weeks, gonna need surgery" "Got the surgery, it's gonna be two weeks more." "Physical therapy is gonna be 3 weeks more" Or whatever the case may be. I do everything in email and cc everyone so a paper trail is left properly.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    My comments about the unemployment and workers comp benefits are based on what I went through years back in Washington state. I am sure things vary from state to state. My situation the employer would not let me return to work until I had a Dr's release. The Dr. was saying that I was permanently disabled. So I just found a job somewhere else and didn't say anything about the previous injury.
    Now when I look back, if I would have signed the papers for permanent disability there would have been months when I would have earned more. But I am/was stubborn and determined to earn my money instead of someone saying that I can't take care of myself so the state should.
    Shows what you're made Mark. Respect.

I am released to work. It wasn't until today that I was informed that I was replaced. So in theory because of my injury I needed to be replaced. I did not quit and was not fired, so I should be able to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    Shows what you're made Mark. Respect.
    This. Yes. Respect.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by CutFingers View Post
    I am released to work. It wasn't until today that I was informed that I was replaced. So in theory because of my injury I needed to be replaced. I did not quit and was not fired, so I should be able to collect.
    Talk to a lawyer. A consultation should be free.