Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: staff meal / comida / family meal

staff meal / comida / family meal

I'm curious what others are eating for staff meal? I feel like 90% of the time I eat chillaqilles, which I prefer to Sysco corn dogs. On the rare occasion we get decent product to work with. I've had some abysmal staff meals during stages. Pics! I know some of you are eating amazing things.

Fried rice and chicken wings. Lots of chicken wings.

Chirizo and lentil soup

Depends who's cooking but Singapore noodles, Lemon grass chicken and ginger garlic shrimp are all favorites.

Fried chicken of some sort and i usually cook up something with vegetables that are older/unfit to serve.

Used to get family meal twice a day at my last job. 11am and 5pm . Usually they were made by the inexperianced cooks and were terrible but occasionally you would get someone trying to impress the chefs. They would come in extremly early to get it done. Some of the best were korean pork dumplings with broth. braised pork ribs, pork pad thai, beef & mushroom pie.
    As hot entree would confit 10 pork bellys per day most of the meals revolved around pork off Cutts lol. Got very sick of pork.

We do leftover food

Most of the times its rice/ beans/noodles pork of some sort . Often times i will make salad and other times we buy pretzel dogs from a guy and bring em to work. For 2 bucks you can't really get better.

Salad is another thing. Salad is easy cost less than most and its great for the crew. Now i am not gonna say salad is the thing everyone is looking forward to but we mix it up , and also try not to eat a lot before dinner service .

Staff meal is great at the end of the shift as well. Usually if we are in the weeds during lunch or pre dinner time we just do a good family meal at the end of the shift. We usually work together clean together and try to eat together as a team regardless.

We do staff meal after service, usually around 1030 (we are only open for dinner). Our whole staff sits down together and eats, kitchen, floor, bar. We take turns in the kitchen making dinner, I have quite a few Jamaicans so we get some pretty amazing brown stew chicken and curry fish. The boys laugh at how many dumplings I can put down, always seems like a good idea at the time until end up in a comatose state from all the starch.

We're not allowed to waste govt. money on such trivialities. We have other ways to do that.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    We're not allowed to waste govt. money on such trivialities. We have other ways to do that.
    That was good.

The topic is truly interesting. I'm in my 4th (80's-2010s) decade of being in the kitchen and damn if I haven't seen it all. I will NEVER own a restaurant, but I will say that one of the most obvious ways of keeping your venture going is to have a good team. Which 99% of the time equates to a "happy" team. One of the easiest and least expensive ways to achieve this is to let the staff have great food! Damn it! It's so bloody simple and obvious. If so many are willing to marry an obnoxious, bloated, cow because she makes great food ("yea, but she's a great cook!") think what kind of loyalty you'll get from your staff.
    I've worked at some high-end gigs where they have the balls to bring in product just to be used on the staff. And of course at all of these types of establishments the morale is crap, I mean 100% without exception. The gigs that had the best camaraderie where the ones with a very loose and not chintzy staff-food policy.
    Amazing how something so simple has such a great effect.
    Long live Carbon!!