Quantcast
How do you guys do it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys do it?

How do you guys do it?

The pro chefs, that is. Had a work cookout today, prepped just a couple dishes and sides for about 30+ people. 8 jerk tenderloins with mango serrano salsa, about 12 pounds of dijon potato and green bean salad, simple roasted garlic chipotle mayo as a burger topping etc. Another coworker got burgers and dogs and more sides from a local German butcher. After a couple nights of prep and working a grill this afternoon, I'm shot. How the $&@! do you guys do this all day everyday?

Check out my avatar.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Don't think just do it, when your done enjoy a nice cold beer or glass of iced tea. It's often a thankless job but you will get respect on your day off telling somebody you cook.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Check out my avatar.
    That's the sad part. There was a keg of decent beer and I only could stand one cup. I was too tired and beat to drink.

I love doing it, I find it fun.

The beer helps tho.

I worked as a pharmacy tech for six months when I was 21. That is a job I don't understand how people do. I ran back to the kitchen and have been there since. You just get up, do it, love it, and then it's done. It will wear you out, but it beats a desk job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    You just get up, do it, love it, and then it's done. It will wear you out, but it beats a desk job.
    +1

It is amazing what you can get used to.

A strong crew sure helps.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

You see what needs to be done, and you make it happen. You get it done. Always. No matter what. As soon as you start wondering if you can do it, you're out of the game. That's when cooks and CDPs walk out.

The answer is always "yes, chef" and find a way. Now that I'm chef, it's my own name. Ultimately, though, we're nuts.

In all seriousness; pro cooking, be it exec chef or sautée jockey, is much like being a pro athlete. It takes years of training to become mentally and physically strong to go to work everyday and take care of business. And like a pro athlete when you don't do it for a little while you relapse.