Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nervous as heck, staging tommorow

Nervous as heck, staging tommorow

So I wrote a cover letter...a day later, I got a call to come in. So they scheduled me a week later. This would indicate to me they are either looking and haven't found somebody. Or they might actually be keen on training somebody. I did not sell myself as being an expert baker, rather a passionate person who would be willing to be working for reduced wages in order to obtain knowledge.

It would seem they probably are more than likely looking to hire somebody who has previous baking experience, but would be willing to train. I am nervous because this place is not simply a cheap mass produced operation, but a real high end bakery. It would be making breads.

I guess I either sink or swim, only one way to find out. It doesn't seem like a complicated job, but certainly hard work. I would much rather bake than sit in a kitchen dealing with servers griping, and customers doing stupid substitutions.

The beauty of baking is, you don't get substitutions or improvised orders. This is real brick oven baking and real natural leavened bread. It's as exciting as it is frightening. I hope the god's smile and give me dexterity needed to shape a ton of loaves. I hope for the best but truly expect the worst.

I mean it's not rocket science shaping loaves, but it's certainly something that takes time to be fast and efficient at. I suppose I should remain positive. I mean what are the odds of a single cover letter, and one week later being scheduled to go work? Something tells me they want a good hard cheap worker, which I am.

My biggest struggle in the food industry is comprehending why people work so hard to put out mediocre product. So this experience should be a huge incentive to push myself to really get a noble butt whipping.

I usually stay out of BoH as I haven't worked ITK for a number of years, but just want to say congrats and hope everything works out.

Where are you staging at if I may ask?

I just did a year at a sourdough bakery. A great learning curve, and being a chef sets you months ahead of that curve in terms of organisation and multi-tasking etc. I really enjoyed the process and reacting to orders over a matter of days rather than minutes.
    One thing for me though is that it got old pretty quickly. Almost zero creativity, unless trialling a new bread, and even then its within the parameters of workable percentages. Lots and lots of weighing. You'll get stronger too, but, watch your back - bend those knees!
    I now feel like a better chef, despite being out of a kitchen for a year.
    Surely a stage is a stage though? Not necessarily a job interview... Don't get ahead of yourself, you might hate it!

Original Knerd of Knives
    Good luck!
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.

I have found that even experienced bakers can struggle going into a artisan type bakery. Most bakeries these days are more like factory jobs. I have had good luck finding motivated people and starting them at the bottom. You'd be surprised how busy you can keep somebody shuffling racks, loading couches, and sweeping. There is so much repetition that a lot can be picked up through osmosis. Keep your ears perked up to over hear the conversations when they are trouble shooting. These can be fascinating learning opportunities.

Is it a super early start time?

Edit: just realized you are probably there right now. So how'd it go?
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Thanks for the encouraging words Chuckles...honestly if I didn't read your post I would have went in with a self defeating attitude. I haven't gone in yet. I'm scheduled in the early afternoon. Hopefully I stay till late evening and come home with a few loaves of bread.

One thing is certain, they likely need extra help to get the through the thanksgiving holiday. Lot's of bread, lot's of bread is sold. If I am a dignified floor sweeper, packager, van loader, so be it.

I am re-evaluating where I want to be in life and I have always enjoyed baking. But after seeing my good friend make about 60k a year without a college education, he's woken me up to the fact that the tech industry is not so bad.

I am pondering saving up to buy the necessary tools for a PC repair shop. I'd rather charge 300$ for an hour than working 8 hours for the same coin. I also feel really good because this morning I took a huge bowel movement. If I didn't do that before this I would be overly anxious.

Making enjoyable dumpies is really the key to a happy life.

tru dat!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Original Knerd of Knives
    Hellz yes dude. Rock out that deuce! Great poops make life worth living.
    "When you're driving behind a Prius, there's 100% chance that nothing exciting will happen" -Karring M.