Help deciding on some new knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marstherover

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've recently discovered this forum, and after spending hours reading through posts I've realized ya'll are the best group to go to for advice.

For some background. I am a right handed line cook at a very busy restaurant in the southern US and my responsibilities are all over the kitchen. I prep tons of varied veggies, portion fish, and fabricate duck and chicken. During service I work the grill station and I like to have a very sharp smallish knife next to me for quick work in the limited space. I like stainless-clad carbon knives, but I am not heart-set on any particular steel or construction.

I am going to buy a 150 petty and either a 210 or 240 gyuto. My budget is roughly $400. Here are a few I'm considering right now:

Kohetsu Aogami Super in a 150 petty and a 210 gyoto. These were the knives I first considered but I've read a few mixed reviews and now I'm not too sure.

Hiromoto in 150 petty and a 240 gyoto. I love the price point of these knives, just not the western handles. Would it be worth it to buythese and have them re-handled? I could probably do that and not go too much over budget . . .

Kochi Kurouchi Stainless Clad in a 150 petty and a 240 gyuto. I discovered these knives after browsing this forum and they are the set I'm leaning towards right now. The aesthetics are perfect. I haven't seen too much in the way of reviews or performance of these knives.

Lastly I have been looking at Takeda knives. Out of my price range, but if the performance is going to be significantly better I could be swayed.

I also don't mind cherry-picking a petty from one maker and the gyoto from another. I would love you hear your opinions on these knives or perhaps another knife maker that might suit me even better.

Thanks in advance!

Hiromoto 150 Petty & 240 Kochi Kurouchi Stainless Clad is a nice working combo & will keep you right in budget

Latest posts

Back