I am an idiot in stitches

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutFingers

Reaction score
I feel so ashamed. I was cleaning my knife at work and scrubbed forward and the tip hit my palm really good. We all make mistakes but this one is really dumb and I feel like such an ass. With no insurance I had to use the bosses comp insurance. It breaks my heart knowing it's going to cost but I can't do much.

The moral of the story is don't scrub like a moron. A single lapse in good judgement can be a danger to yourself and others. I don't ask for sympathy but please remember to be more careful than I was tonight.

I know how you feel but we all do things that afterwards are hard to explain why we did them that way the way we did. I hope your hand will heel soon.

This thread is useless without pics!
AKA Pics or it didn't happen!

I always seem to cut myself at the most inopportune times, if it does happen, I do feel like such an idiot that I did cut myself, I feel like a rookie

I know how you feel but we all do things that afterwards are hard to explain why we did them that way the way we did. I hope your hand will heel soon.

That's for sure. When I got my first car at 21 (1970 Opel Manta) I wondered how fast it could go, so on a really foggy night on a country 2 lane highway I got it up to 90 mph, thinking that in the pea soup thick fog no one could see me speeding. That couldn't have ended badly at all.

Heal up quickly.

Raise your hand if you've never ever cut yourself while cooking or sharpening... well... I thought so. Like Chris said, pix?

+1 on the pics! :)

When I clean my knives I only scrub from heel to tip (and spine to edge), then lift up and come back....much harder to have a owie that way.

I guess the means I'm edge-trailing for cleaning!

That's for sure. When I got my first car at 21 (1970 Opel Manta) I wondered how fast it could go, so on a really foggy night on a country 2 lane highway I got it up to 90 mph, thinking that in the pea soup thick fog no one could see me speeding. That couldn't have ended badly at all.

Heal up quickly.

I am glad you did not have more money at the time. Think how things could have ended with something like Corvette.

2 invaluable lessons : don't drink and drive, and don't drink and work with knives. You may spill your drink or screw up a perfectly good knife

https://imageshack.com/i/ipUYqsStj

Hopefully the link works. Although there are few stitches I did hit a nerve..right near the top where you see most blood. The tip of the knife did chip so whatever stupid mistake I made, I hit pretty hard.

Last edited:
Man those old Opal cars were really cool...My old man managed to flip over in a Ford Pinto and survive.

You chipped the knife on your hand?!

That's a tough break man. Working is not going to be fun for you until that sucker heals up. Best of luck.

Wow! That looks pretty gnarly!
Sometimes the kitchen Gods (or kitchen knife Gods) demand a blood sacrifice. ....
Around here we also say that it means you truly own it (the knife) after it makes you bleed.
Heal quick!

Does anyone else see the irony in this thread and the OP's username?
Good luck to a speedy recovery.

Yep. First thing I noticed but did not want to seem like a sicko. Also not lost on me that he also has a new knife that has a really nice edge but the KU finish scrubbed off with a greenie. Prob a coincidence....

I need to get out more.

I have at least 5 large incidents that are now mostly healed (that I probably should have gone to the ER for, but last time it was 1 stitch, a lecture from the doctor for finishing prep then working through service before coming in, and four hours of my life wasted).

I learned (again) to not polish my mandoline blade making sauerkraut a couple weeks ago.

Definitely. I've cut myself worse and more often on a mandolin.

Stabbed finger to the bone on paring knife while scrubbing clean with a brush, dumb.accidents just happen..
I've even stabbed myself in the knee cap while kneeling down to grab a steel out of knife roll and used it in same position instead.of standing.

Thank God for Bacitracin, brown paper and electrical tape.

The boss called and said I could come back to work ten minutes ago :) He also scared the crap out of me. He said don't bring your knives. I said "okay." I mean I was sad. Then he said "bring them but be more careful." I mean I can tell you all if I had to use his stamped steel dexters that the dull rolled edges would have me back in stitches in days.

That didn't answer my question :) Do you think a thinned Dexter could outperform a carbon gyuto or cheap Tojiro VG10...I did notice Tojiro has made some low cost high carbon stainless knives. I wonder if the blade is thinner.

Back