How do you store your knives?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am looking for storage options for my knives. I am looking for some kind of box/chest/drawer system since I have no place on my wall to display them. I've looked online and found out that wide drawers are pretty hard to come by and I was wondering if any of you had some ideas as to where to find some.

I would something that resembles a machinist's chest but I am open to any of your suggestions/comments!

Thanks

Larry

Larry - I'm not sure if this is the type of thing you're after. My wife preferred drawer storage in our new kitchen, so I found these cork lined inserts:

IMG_7092.JPG

If I remember correctly, I think they are from The Container Store. They had various sizes...I found I could fit two small ones per drawer.

Yeah those look amazing! But I wanted more of a "chest/drawer" that would go next to my cutting board. Like a big jewelry box..... But yeah I'll definitely look in to those knife docks!

I've got an in-drawer knife holder, which works well for me. I have mixed feelings about showing my knives more publicly. It would be cool to show them, but I wonder if visitors would grab them. There's a block with the less expensive and tougher knives on the counter. For me, the drawer solution works pretty well. There's an inch or two on one side for my taller knives (cleaver and nakiri) and a little room at the front for some short knives I keep with guards. The holder itself holds six longer knives, six shorter knives, and a sharpening rod (I'm going to cut a slot in the slot for the rod to make space for another long knife).

Some people like blocks on the counter (although it is tough to find a block that will hold many longer knives) or wall-mounted magnetic strips.

Yeah those look amazing! But I wanted more of a "chest/drawer" that would go next to my cutting board. Like a big jewelry box..... But yeah I'll definitely look in to those knife docks!

If you have the counter space -- although maybe this could also be wall mounted -- sounds like you want a lockable display case with glass front. Maybe something along these lines:
http://www.peachsuite.com/310-10001/victorinox-10001-lockable-stocking-display-case-w-magnet-bar-10001.html?gclid=CJnm0KK_i8ACFQto7AodyzAArw&kwid=productads-plaid^95167475339-sku^310@ADL410001-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^46123248419

Off the wall idea, have a craftsman build this for you: an integrated cutting board and knife storage drawer. could be 4-6" tall, with a drawer for the knives. Get it in a large size like 18*24. For cleaning, the cutting board portion, could lift off. That would be larger than most kitchen drawers, and it could be velvet/cork-lined to protect the edges.

Yes, but why aren't the knives sorted by length, this is making my OCD act up ...

thanks for your suggestions guys!

actually, I found a drawer at an antique dealer and I am in the process of restoring it. Pics will follow shortly!

Back