Quantcast
Nice pair in Damascus and a San mai Santoku - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice pair in Damascus and a San mai Santoku

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbybrocks View Post
    I'm a full time Artist blacksmith--I imagine for a professional chef stainless steel would be a must
    I'm a chef for a living and all of my 'serious' knives are white carbon steel. I only have one stainless that is a beater/line knife. Just send me the knife I complimented you on and I'll let you know how it holds up in a fast paced professional kitchen

I agree with everyone else.
    Very good looking knives.
    I am sure we all would look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Thank You for posting the photos.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Thanks very much, good to hear carbon steel still has its place. I'll be making some more soon. Probably doing some more San mai. I do them in damascus whenever I find a pattern that doesn't get ruined by forging it down to 2mm or less.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    I agree with everyone else.
    Very good looking knives.
    I am sure we all would look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Thank You for posting the photos.
    Just seen some of the lovely woods on your website. I really want to start doing my own
    handles for the top end ones soon. Do you do anything in 25-30mm square?

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousCowboy View Post
    I'm a chef for a living and all of my 'serious' knives are white carbon steel. I only have one stainless that is a beater/line knife. Just send me the knife I complimented you on and I'll let you know how it holds up in a fast paced professional kitchen
    When I have been on here a bit longer, a pass-around could be a very good idea. Realistically the damascus ones are just nice to have. The San Mai ones will be the workhorse go to knife. I'll be doing some more of these in en42j and mild steel. This time i'll add a strip of 15n20(shiny one) to punch up the weld line a bit.

Just seen some of the lovely woods on your website. I really want to start doing my own
    handles for the top end ones soon. Do you do anything in 25-30mm square?
    Most will be a bit larger.
    A lot could be split to yield 2 blocks that size.
    I am new to kitchen knives so most of my wood is cut to sizes needed with regular fixed blade knives.
    Some pieces will work for both types of knives.
    These guys are slowly but surely teaching me about kitchen knives.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

When I have been on here a bit longer, a pass-around could be a very good idea.
    Did I just hear the P-word?!

Thanks Guys. I've found a uk source of 25mm burl woods for handles. And i've done a deal on some old blades in return for a disc grinder so I will be making custom handles soon for the damascus blades. I make my own Mokume so the top notch mascus ones will have mokume fittings. I'm thinking 3 price brackets here. 1.The simple San mai go to knives which will have the bought in handles. 2. A mid range damascus probably a san mai construction again but with 100ish layer sides. These will have a copper bolster and simple octagonal handle from a single piece of wood.
    3.The top end Damascus, (some of the patterns take 8 hours to produce a billet) Will have Mokume bolster and 2 fancy woods with coloured spacers maybe mokume spacer in the middle. The tang will go all the way through on these and riveted at the back. Again Octagonal or similar I'll have to have a play.
    This is not a sales thread its market research only and would like opinions on pricing. I would aim for the simple San mai's to be under £100, the Mid range damascus around £150 and the top end patterns with exotic handles around £250. Generalizing here on a blade around 170-200mm in length.

Those prices seem very reasonable to me. The most popular styles seem to be 240mm gyuto and 270mm sujihiki. How much would you charge for a 240mm sanmai convex ground gyuto?

Thanks Obtuse, I assume you mean chisel ground on one side and a slight hollow to the other? Or do you mean a full convex grind both sides then a secondary bevel . I'm not set up with wheels at the moment. I only use a flat platen. At the moment all my knives are full flat ground or nearly full leaving a bit of texture at the top. I leave an edge as fine as possible probably 0.25mm or there abouts on the grind. Then convex the final edge on polishing. This works for me and gets good feedback from folks who have used them versus traditional 14 degree single bevel. It is still very very slicey but a bit more robust against damaging the edge for slightly heavier tasks or by accident. That is probably the way it will be for now and that is my little angle on the Japanese style knife which is something a bit different. I will need to build a multi-wheel grinder at some point as I also make a type of damascus straight razor. Its a full wedge at the moment but it would be nice with a bit of a hollow, or just a fuller up the middle.
    Cheers
    Will