Gifts

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
A few of my friends expressed interest in my knives, I was thinking of getting a few cheap ones, thin them, round the spines/Choil, and depending on price maybe knock up a cheap saya. The knives are likely to be banged up/ abused a little (I will be sure to tell them no can opening/frozen food) but it's likely to be thrown in the sink at some point. I don't really have a timeframe so happy to go bargain hunting once I can work out what to look for. Any recommendations on steel type, etc. I am thinking a shorty wouldn't hurt any suggestion on where to start? Looking at under 50$.

Not sure about the dimples. Would impact thining I think. We will see what options we have.

Check if the costco in sydney is selling the tramontina pro line. If so they are incredible bargains. A 10" and 8" chef same profile as the victorinox and pretty much the same steel except they cost $14 in the US at costco for the 2!

Interesting. Will go have a look. Fit and finish is not an issue as long as the steel is good. I just want some practice knives that I can give to people.

I've used them several times. Perfect transactions

Rami,

Over on Cheftalk there's a thread where they say that the Slitbar range at Ikea are VG10.
I checked them out at the weekend, they are labelled as molybdenum vanadium on the blades and were $32 ish for an 8 inch knife, if I remember correctly.

Rami,

Over on Cheftalk there's a thread where they say that the Slitbar range at Ikea are VG10.
I checked them out at the weekend, they are labelled as molybdenum vanadium on the blades and were $32 ish for an 8 inch knife, if I remember correctly.

Thanks mate. Are they still VG10 if they are labeled as molybdenum vanadium? My understanding is that the 2 are different.

Ok.
Some people have posted that IKEA has some cheap and decent VG10 knives.
Haven't checked this out myself.

IKEA has VG10 knives? I'd be really surprised. IKEA are notorious for not wanting to tell what their knives are made of.

Thanks mate. Are they still VG10 if they are labeled as molybdenum vanadium? My understanding is that the 2 are different.
There might be different versions in the wild, but the knives that Ikea sold in Russia are not from VG10. I have no idea who is making them actually, but they seems to be a good value. Pretty comparable to Henckels I would say. Big belly and pretty thick behind the edge. Because of this they easily survive through any abuse. I used mine for cutting wood for about 2 weeks without any consequences.

But if you care about performance, then Fujiwara FKM would blow away any ikea knife. And FKM is pretty affordable and abuse resistant.

See the idea I have is to get a decent steel and improve on the geometry. I am looking to get at least four. So even a little variation in price can mean a lot. I just want some practice knives I can give away after.

The Tojiro is VG10 and one of the cheapest well-hardened VG10 knives I know. Another good option, lesser known, but also good and made of VG10 is the Eden Quality gyuto. (Google them, I don't know if I am allowed to give any links here.)

My favourite steel for gyutos is AEB-L, because it takes a great edge. The cheapest decent gyuto in AEB-L I know (provided you want to improve the geometry yourself) is the R**mond Artifex.

Success! Don't forget to let us know what you chose.

I am getting a couple of Tojiro's. So hope they turn out fine :). They pushed the budget up so I am getting fewer knives.

Back