help me find this

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonlb7

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyoto

Are you right or left handed? Left

Are you interested in a Western handle or Japanese handle? WA

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 270

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $350

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use only.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Most of my vegetable and meat prep (will not be used on any bones) along with some prepared foods. I smoke a lot of meat and go through a lot of bark so that should be considered

What knife, if any, are you replacing? None, I have an 8” Shun chefs knife that will stay in service

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Slice, Chop, Push, Rock

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have. Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Highest on the list would be layered super aomagi cladded with stainless, I like the kuro uchi finish and or hammered but I don’t want that to be the only protection (ie Takeda Classic) and its not a deal breaker if it has neither. I really dont want to worry about acidic foods developing a dark color or a smell from the carbon, as i will be cutting a lot of onions, lemons, and limes.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Would like it on the lighter side. I have large hands so I would also like a larger wa handle if possible. I understand the balance will be a little forward because of it being a 270 and that is fine as long as its not way out front.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? I would like it OOTB sharp as I have to learn to use stones. Biggest things would be wedging, food release and ease of sharpening.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I would like it to have above average edge retention. As I said I will learn to sharpen as it is at the top of my priority list right now.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Poly and end grain rock maple butcher block

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Not Yet

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I have a Masamoto carbon sujihiki and petty so I am not afraid of carbon or taking care of it. I go through a lot of onions and higher acidity foods and i dont want to worry about the reaction on the food that’s why I was looking towards a super aogami clad in stainless i love the look carbon knives develop but I dont want my food to develop the same look. I would like a blade on the thinner side, not necessarily a laser. Also I am not against having it thinned and etched to make it what I am looking for, if it helps.

How about new Takeda with Stainless clad? I think it should be around your budget.

Just on the account of transparency, if you decide to go ahead through the Takeda route, read this thread first http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...to-keep-from-getting-screwed?highlight=Takeda
I bought two Takedas, one used from a KKF member, another one from Ivan at Tosho Knife Arts and i regret i didn't buy them earlier. On this thread members that know better that i recommended that one shoud buy from Ivan, who is experienced with japanese knives. I followed the advice and i'm a happy customer now. Thanks KKF!

A 270 Gyuto that is thin behind the blade will slice smoked meats excellently.

I really like those new Takedas. I just saw Mr Magnus custom Takeda and that is very interesting. my only worry is the QC issues that have been brought up lately. If I decided to go with white or blue clad in stainless would you have any recomendations? Again looking for excellent edge retention, minimal sticktion, and thinness. And I think my budget just went to $400.

The edge retention to this steel will be the least of your problems. People have been bringing up issues with thickness behind the edge, though. If i were you, i would send an e-mail to Tosho Fine Arts and explain your concerns related to this issue. I'm sure they will manage to find you a good specimen. Good luck!

Back