Aussies and shiges

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rami_m

Reaction score
Looking at these forums I started to notice that Aussies love them some shiges. I am wondering if this is true or just me?

Ps I wonder what shiges people have, I have a gyuto, usuba and deba( waiting for that big catch)

You're right! I may be the only aussie without a shige. Never really liked highly reactive carbon knives and patina, really.

Do I get my membership revoked? 😅

I see, I like, I cut.

You're right! I may be the only aussie without a shige. Never really liked highly reactive carbon knives and patina, really.

I see, I like, I cut.

Nah, maybe you have a Kato.

Yes, there are quite a few down this way, I have a number myself.

For single bevel, 270 kitaeji yanagiba, 210 kitaeji diamond tip usuba/kiritsue, 180 kitaeji deba, 180 kasumi deba, 210 kasumi mioroshi deba, 150 KU fish knife, and 165 KU santoku.

For double bevel, 220 KU chuka, 240 kitaeji yo gyuto, 150 kitaeji yo petty, and 270 kasumi yoshishide yo suji .

And there are these that I have sold earlier, 210 kasumi usuba, 240 kitaeji wa gyuto, 240 kasumi yo gyuto, and 150 kasumi wa petty.

A little bit nuts, I admit.

What's a Fish knife? Also I ended up with 2 of the ones you sold:).

I see, I like, I cut.

You are not the only one :)

Maxim called it single bevel petty, but I do think it is the same as other places where it is sold as general purpose fish knife for fisherman on the boat. It is also similar to ikasaki or squid knife.

What's a Fish knife? Also I ended up with 2 of the ones you sold:).

Maxim called it single bevel petty, but I do think it is the same as other places where it is sold as general purpose fish knife for fisherman on the boat. It is also similar to ikasaki or squid knife.

What do you use it for?

Ok I'm ready to confess ...

165 Ku Santoku
165 Ku Nakiri
210 Ku Gyuto
165 Kitaeji Santoku
165 Kitaeji Nakiri
240 Kitaeji Gyuto
270 Kitaeji Yanagiba
and one on the way ....

Bloody hell, I really am a knifeaholic :)

Ok I'm ready to confess ...

165 Ku Santoku
165 Ku Nakiri
210 Ku Gyuto
165 Kitaeji Santoku
165 Kitaeji Nakiri
240 Kitaeji Gyuto
270 Kitaeji Yanagiba
and one on the way ....

Bloody hell, I really am a knifeaholic :)

Have you got anything other than shigs.

All shall be revealed in good time ... :doublethumbsup:

Meanwhile, I'd love to see Chanop's amazing SB collection, not to mention yours, Rami :)

If countries had a national knife, Australia would definitely be Shigefusa, I love every time you guys post them!!

I have been Australian permanent resident for over a month, as soon as we got the results I had a phone call from the immigration saying "what size and shape You would like to get your shig " it's mandatory they said :p

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

hmm... Kitaeji yanagiba, deba and gyuto!
if only i can sell my arm and leg :knife:

I have been Australian permanent resident for over a month, as soon as we got the results I had a phone call from the immigration saying "what size and shape You would like to get your shig " it's mandatory they said :p

Looks like it's the only way to get a Shige now days. Well, it also explains the shortage :)

Honestly I think the fact we get Maxims shig e mail alert at night time with most of us being at home versus the folks in USA get it very early in the morning has to do with it

Does this mean I'll get kicked out of the country for not owning one ?

Honestly I think the fact we get Maxims shig e mail alert at night time with most of us being at home versus the folks in USA get it very early in the morning has to do with it

Did he change times or something? I get it at 3 am.

I currently own 4 shigs, a 210 Kitaeji Deba and 3 Yo-Gyutos

I have owned a total of 14
3 Kasumi Wa Gyuto
4 Kasumi Yo Gyuto
2 Kitaeji Wa Gyuto
195 Kasumi Deba
210 Kitaeji Deba
300 Kitaeji Yanagib
210 Kasumi Kamagata Usuba
270 Yoshihide Yo Sujihiki

And i have 2 more on the way .....

I currently own 4 shigs, a 210 Kitaeji Deba and 3 Yo-Gyutos