Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catcheside - Mono steels.

Catcheside - Mono steels.

I have been very focused on my Damascus and san mai work for sometime and regularly get inquires about mono steel knives. So with a considered approach I mean to make a few every now and then which will be for direct sale as and when they are produced via my mailing list and website.
    In a current mono steel I want to offer a similar grind weight and geometry that I have come to offer in my custom damascus work so will be making some from thicker 4mm stock as well as some lighter in 3mm as the original Utility line were.
    The 4mm will be pitched as a higher grade product, giving you the benefit of my current geometry, heavier knife, thin geometry, the same finish and attention to detail will be given to the 3mm knives, you will just have a lighter knife, well mid weight, I would say close to 4mm is mid as well, anything over that being heavy. Handles will be made from what I have and can attain at a mid/reasonable price and from bits and pieces I have. So rarely two will be the same handle mixture, will only be using stabilised or very stable natural stock. I stress that these will all be completely hand made in shop and in no way mid-tech.
    I will post pictures here as they get finished and detail geometry shots so you can see what Im talking about.

Here is the first in 4mm carbon 01. Will be about 3.8mm at the heel, very pleased the way it feels, and cuts like a custom.
    It is a 230mm Gyuto, 52mm Height.

Lets get straight to the geometry, excuse the fluff on the blade, Macro lens is very unforgiving

I have price points in mind for both the 3mm and 4mm offerings and will publish a couple for sale soon via my mailing then place them for sale on my website.

Would love to know what you think of this,

Cheers
    Will

Sounds and looks amazing!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yes please

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Looks pretty awesome to me! I bet there'll be a big demand for those. I'd get one myself if I could afford one.

I think I'm out of the market for these kinds of knives at the moment but the one posted looks pretty awesome.

Good call Will. I think this series will be very successful.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Thanks Guys, for your information, rough price point at this time will be £290 for 3mm 240mm knives and £60 more for the 4mm version, plus shipping but I may do a deal and split the postage on the first pair.
    Just finished a 3mm version. (Thats in pounds sterling).

Will do some choil shot comparisons tomorrow side by side.

Look great Will,I prefer a heavier knife in a Gyuto the 4mm is very appealing.Do you plan to use different steels or just the 01?

These look amazing, Will! Definitely interested.

If I were to buy one more knife this would definitely be it. Looks great Will! Hope I have some funds when one appears.