Bread Knife? Options beside MAC?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'll be looking to purchase a new bread knife in the near future. I know the MAC Bread Knife is an often recommended one and a fairly safe choice but I was wondering if there were any other's worth giving serious consideration to? I have already discounted the Tojiro as F&F issue bug the heck out of me.

I found this one by Zwilling while looking at some of the Kramer stuff and figured it would be interesting to see if anyone had used one.
http://zwillingonline.com/38406263.html

The Zwilling you linked looks actually quite interesting. But I would first try to figure out the weight before I would order one. It looks a bit too tall for a bread knife.

You may of course have a custom one made - I think I have seen a Kramer bread knife once around here :D

Don't mess with success. Get the MAC Professional or the MAC Superior. I have the Tojiro, and I've been very happy with it.

If your just going to be cutting soft breads a sharp gyuto works better than a bread knife. But if your cutting into hard breads than stick with the mac.

I already have a couple of sharp gyuto's (Sakai Yusuke 240mm and Kramer Essential Chef's 10in) so the bread knife would be for everything and anything else. I like the Victorinox bread knife I have however it's pretty short (8in) and has a straight handle which, combined with the overall low blade height, results in minimal board clearance. The sharpness of the blade is nice but the length and clearance are real issues.

Love the Mother and break mine out often.

Junior, at 210mm I find is a little more practical for everyday use and is avail in the states from: https://www.lehmans.com/showProduct.aspx?SEName=our-best-knives-by-franz-gude&ProductID=1158

Little%20Gude%20%28210mm%29%20%282%29.jpg

There's always the Victorinox 10 1/4 inch bread knives. They have a curve to it and I haven't had any problems with knuckle clearance the couple times I've used one. They also come in a Rosewood handle option if you don't want the Fibrox handle (which I find quite uncomfortable), but at that price point you're very fast approaching the cost of the MAC Superior. That's the conclusion I came to.

I bought the MAC today and so far after one day use on the job I'm loving it. Cuts through a tomato like it's air, doesn't tare bread at all and the F&F are flawless out of the box. It's actually surprisingly lightweight for a blade of that length!

I love my Tojiro ITK works great for me. Also, there is Gude and Misono.

Just MHO, but for the money the Tojiro 270 (not the DP) is hard to beat. A solid performer that deserves a better handle.

I know that the Tojiro is a great knife but honestly, I'm picky about my handles and F&F meaning that I would most definitely re-handle the Tojiro. At that point, I might as well just buy the MAC or something else price wise. That is where I was asking for opinions, trying to see if there were other things to consider besides the MAC (safe bet)

I had rehandled a Tojiro 270 and sold it to a friend at work and they are happy. I also had an Artifex 270 bread and talk about handle F&F issues, but it is a good knife so I rehandled it and donated it to a local fund raiser auction. I still have my Mac Superior that I also rehandled and it is the keeper. They're all knock offs of the Mac Superior it's a hard design to beat.

Back