Santoku or Nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

A big part of my cooking involves vegetables and as much as I love my gyuto, I would love to hear your thoughts on specialized veggie knives. Now I know santokus are not only for veggies but I love to work with it when I prep veggies!

Thanks,
Larry

I like using both on veggies, but if I know I'm just doing veggies I'm far more likely to use one of my nakiris. But what volume of veggies are you going to be doing each time? Just a bit, or a huge whackload? If you're going through a huge whackload, a cleaver might be even better :)

If it's not a gyuto I reach for a nakiri much more often than the Santoku.

volume is not the main issue for me ( I usually make a huge dish every week or so and freeze it) I was just wondering what was the easiest to use! I had a feeling for the Nakiri and I've received confirmation!

I think if the tip is not a dealbreaker, then I think there's more functional difference between individual knives than between the two styles. Got to pick a specific knife to match to the tasks and cutting style.

A Nakiri is a fun knife to use though limited to vegs. A Santoku is a knife without a tip that ladies like.

I like nakiri's, generally have a flatter profile then the santoku's.

Be well,
Mikey

Well - nakiri is a dedicated veggie chopper. But if you consider a santoku, you can as well can a nice funayuki and get the same functionality as santoku would give you in a more practical (IMO) package. Since I got my Carter funayuki (167mm) it quickly became my go-to knife for vegetables. The tip is very practical to have for more detailed work.

the thing is I want something to push cut... so I guess nakiris are best for that.

There is a very slight profile difference between the two. Nakiris tend to be flatter, whereas a Santoku will have a slightly more pronounced curve or belly. My Shig Santokus have a very useful tip and a slightly longer cutting edge than Nakiris of the equivalent nominal length, but this will vary between makers.

Honestly, buy both and sell the one you don't like. I just kept them, but that's me :)

I like the Santoku for general purpose use but feel the nakiri is the better pure vegetable blade. The one point I would add is go for a 180 nakiri rather than the more common 165's.

Cheap chinese cleaver is more economical and serves the same purpose. I think a small gyuto is even better.

thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm gonna go for a nakiri!

I've seen the tadafusa with blue core and stainless clad.... Any other recommendations for a nakiri under 100$?

A santoku is a pretty good knife on it's own. Different shape and a smaller than a gyuto, but still functional enough for most tasks. Nakiri's are a bit one-dimensional. If you are looking to compliment your gyuto, I would get a nakiri.

A santoku is a pretty good knife on it's own. Different shape and a smaller than a gyuto, but still functional enough for most tasks. Nakiri's are a bit one-dimensional. If you are looking to compliment your gyuto, I would get a nakiri.

You've read my mind! I am looking to compliment my gyuto!

Back