Oyster knives...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdpx

Reaction score
Hello all

I have not been here in a while...

We are off to California on Friday and will be staying near Tomales Bay, so I need an osyter knife.

I understand if you buy one at the oyster place they charge you an arm and a leg for it, and I just called a shop here in London to get one today and they don't keep them in stock - was going to just get a Deglon.

So any tips on what I should get and perhaps more importantly where can I get one in San Francisco? [in the downtown area]

Nothing fancy, I just want a cheap, practical knife.

Thanks

R

I keep a couple of these around for shucking bagged oysters.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQAMQQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Amazon can prob ship right to your hotel. You may want to order a glove at the same time.

Curious as to why you would shuck your own - it's a messy business and will stink up towels and anything else nearby. The "oyster place" will have guys that will do that for you while you enjoy a cold beer. Or three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dave

That's the kind of thing - we aren't staying in a hotel have rented a cottage for a week. Good idea though I will ask them for the street address and get it sent there.

Why do I want to shuck my own. I guess two reasons. Firstly I like shucking oysters, but more to the point that way we can eat them on our deck overlooking the ocean as and when we want. Also as you suggested, that way I can drink a whole crate of beer, and not have to worry about driving the 45minutes home.

Plus, when you buy a bag of 100 they are cheaper!!

HOG ISLAND

TOMALES BAY

Robert

I keep a couple of these around for shucking bagged oysters.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EQAMQQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Amazon can prob ship right to your hotel. You may want to order a glove at the same time.

Curious as to why you would shuck your own - it's a messy business and will stink up towels and anything else nearby. The "oyster place" will have guys that will do that for you while you enjoy a cold beer. Or three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bernard

tis but a fleeting visit.
That site is out of stock - we leave Friday so will just have to find one out there.
I am sure that we will be so blissed out on California that paying $7 over the odds for a cheap knife will cause minimal stress.

How goes the fun in here?

;)

R

Nice to have you back, Robert. In the UK

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/page76.html#Cook’s

made by Thiers-Issard, Thiers, France.

In the States you may get the same with
thebestthings.com
Look for their house brand.

Any restaurant supply should have the Dexter in stock. Do a search for one local to your stay.

Just about any large grocery store or pharmacy like Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid will have a small section with kitchen utensils and would most likely have a cheap oyster knife. If you're stopping in San Francisco on the way up to Tomales Bay there are a few Sur La Table shops all in downtown, one near Union Square & one at the Ferry Building Marketplace (cool place to check out & shop, especially when the Farmer's Market is open). There's also Macy's in Union Square that has a pretty large kitchenware department. Of course, you'll probably pay more than you need to at those shops. And I'd be willing to bet where ever you stop to pick up your case of beer will have one.

Make your own out of a butter knife. It would take 20 minutes haha.

Back