Would You Use An Electric Knife To Cut...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty13

Reaction score
A roast beef and if so, what kind of electric should be used/

Thanks, Scott

I've seen electric slicers being used to slice up BBQ on T.V., never seen it in person.

Keep it old school & manly, I'd recommend either a Victorinox 12" slicer or a 270mm+ sujihiki.

Not a fan of the electric slicers.... Much prefer a nice, thin, sharp suji...

+1 I would keep it analog as well...

Roast Beef - No.

If you want a half dozen smoked briskets sliced thin right now - OK

For unskilled, elderly or arthritic hands - OK

Cuisinart makes what is prob the best lectirc on the market.

I'll have the suji thank you.

I've never owned one and can't imagine any members here would deny themselves the pleasure of using a real knife. That bring said, I know butchers who happily use electric knives at home and pros who use them for everything from croutons, angel food cake to BBQ. A friend of mine has a place called the "Garage Sale Store". He has a Black and Decker for sale in the store. Such a bargain :D.

I'll go against the grain and am in favor of electric slicers. Nothing is better to slice 195 degree brisket.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408552778.133834.jpg

They also work great on styrofoam insulation:D

Be well,
Mikey

not a big fan of electric gadgets in the kitchen... i like to cut, i make my shortcrust by hand, i make milk foam without electric foamers, and i cut my bread without an electric bread cutter... guess i'm pretty much old school! :spiteful:

They're great for cutting foam rubber if you're doing upholstery work.

Thank you everyone. Its been a huge help. I'm going to go with the Victorinox 12" carving knife. Keep it old school.

Scotty13

I look forward to using it every Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas. A tradition since 1978. The "knife" itself is vintage 60s.
I used to bring a fancy knife but it wasn't the same. In the great scheme of things, perhaps my favorite knife in the world.

I LOVE my slicers. Still, the sound of grandpa going at the holiday protein with an electric knife brings back a ton of memories.

I'm forced to bring out the electric saw by the parents every Thanksgiving in spite of having a Konosuke 300mm Suji which works just as well (and numerous yanagis but never tried one on a Turkey)

The thing is a vintage from when we used to live in the US some 25+ years ago. Its 110v and the only 110v appliance my parents have now (HK is 230V) hence they have to maintain an equally old transformer to use it. The damn thing must weigh 40 pounds. I get a workout every year looking for it and bringing it out of storage.

The entire situation makes no sense to me, but I just do it for tradition's sake. Regarding using the saw... maybe I just don't know how to use it properly, but the slices come out a little messy looking though effortlessly. But I would be lying if I didn't mention having a mini chainsaw in my hands brings a smile to my face every year. Just not everyday.

I've never used one, does anyone enjoy using them for anything other than that it's a tradition and a change?

Is there anything that these things do better than a slicer?

Croutons. They slice up bread wonderfully.

Ha! The first knives I owned as a married woman was a cheap set of faberware knives and a sunbeam (I think?) electric knife. I actually just got rid of it. Worked great for thinly slicing half frozen London broil for cheesesteaks or stir fry.

i have one. rarely use it.

it does work best on crusty stuff..like crispy skin roasted chicken or turkey. you can get thin slices without destroying the integrity of the skin..(at least with my knives :()

it will light saber raw artichokes for steaming faster than anything, and just feel safer.

Latest posts

Back