slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared08

Reaction score
id like to buy a knife that will excell at slicing duck breast(paper thin), tuna, quartering scallops into thirds..
essentially i want either a suji or yanagi.

what will perform best under 200 dollars?

quartering scallops into thirds..

:scratchhead::brainfart:
I can not be held responsible for the things I say whilst intoxicated.

What I meant to say was thinnly slicing scallops like chips. I don't know how it turned into that? Ha

i'm struggling with this too jared, i have kikuichi elite carbon which gets the job done just fine, but want a cladded knife. been considering zakuri blue #1 240mm.

I really like yanagiba knives, but I'm not really sure if they are a whole lot better than a good suji. I guess what draws me to them is the looks. They are also pretty easy for me to touch up, but I think the opposite is probably true for most people with double-bevel knives.

The misono dragon suji I just picked up would have been ideal....

Question, not recommendation....why would a really high quality 210 petty not work here. The reason I ask is that's what I currently use and am wondering what benefits it would bring me to go to a high quality 260 suji.

My understanding which may not be entirely accurate. Is that length is good for slicing. You can cut a bigger piece without sawing back and forth.

Length is, of course part of it. If large items will be sliced, a longer blade makes cleaner slices. However, in the "what is a petty vs. a short suji debate", one has to take into account the profile of the knife, as well. Petty knives can be flatter, and more gyuto-like (not all the time), while a proper slicing suji often has a slightly upturned nose (or we could call it belly). This not only aids in smooth slicing, but actually increases useable edge length.

Back