Yea but how thin is it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a topic that doesn't get discussed much but I have a feeling it's going to hit a KKF nerve.

We all talk about measurements when discussing knives so I wanted to verify them. That's just me.

I had a piss-ant hardware store caliper that I wasn't totally happy with so I started doing some research and narrowed the purchase down to one brand Mitutoyo. So I started looking into their Digital Calipers and was shocked that they were three to ten times the price of others that were highly rated. I decision had to be made. So I decided to check out the eBay used market and quickly realized that cost of excellent condition and new were very close--another indicator of a quality product. But I got lucky and picked up a pair in excellent condition for about $90.

I'm Not going to give a review just say that form and function are not unlike Thermopens. Perform perfectly every time, look and feel good doing it.

I'm in love with a Caliper. Please call someone for help. :)

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408713056.827316.jpg

Yusuke 240 X thin edge at heel

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1408713101.343648.jpg

I don't think you have gotten to the super thin category yet. Something in the .13mm to .25mm range should do it.

Don't forget to note at what height up onto the blade you're taking measurements. It helps when comparing with other people who are doing the same thing or when you offer reviews.

If you are in love with caliper, look for longislandindicator.com website.

Wow, you really need to take some finger stones and polish up those calipers. And the measuring tips look like they have overgrinds. Hopefully those will come out in a few sharpenings and will not result in holes. Also, what batteries are you using? The mass market ones suffer from being too thick and get dull too quickly; best to commission some custom pieces.

Have you performed any test to confirm your suspicions -- i.e., the Mitutoyo caliper is indeed much more accurate than the "hardware store caliper" (or any other you had access to, for that matter)?

Is the caliper both analogue and digital? If so that's something I'd like to purchase...Digital is awful. Analogue rules...

Next level of madness? Starrett ball micrometer. :spiteful:

Wow, you really need to take some finger stones and polish up those calipers. And the measuring tips look like they have overgrinds. Hopefully those will come out in a few sharpenings and will not result in holes. Also, what batteries are you using? The mass market ones suffer from being too thick and get dull too quickly; best to commission some custom pieces.

Nice. Well played.

Back