Quantcast
First attempt at sous vide....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attempt at sous vide....

First attempt at sous vide....

So I just fired up my completely ghetto sous vide rig (nope, no pictures...) that I made from a crock pot and an Auber Instruments PID I had lying around.

I figure go big or go home, so for the first run I'm doing short ribs 3 ways. I had 6 ribs in the package so I went with two in each Foodsaver bag. First one has salt, pepper, and garlic. Second is Chili Garlic paste (from the Sriracha folks), cheap-ass soy sauce, and a little sugar. Third is salt, pepper, and pumpkin blossom honey from The Bee Folks.

I'm thinking I'll let these cook until tomorrow night, or possibly Tuesday night, we'll see how patient I am. Currently set at 135F and I'll probably bump it up to ~140 about 12 hours before I pull them. the plan is then to finish them in a skillet with a little oil to put a nice crust on the outside. I'll probably stretch these into 3 meals since my wife doesn't care for short ribs. More for me!

More in a couple days.....

-d

I did my first sous vide yesterday as well! Didn't have a lot of time before service, so I just did some red bliss potatoes with thyme, garlic clove and pork fat in the bag for a steak special we were running. They were awfully good potatoes.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I did my first sous vide yesterday as well! Didn't have a lot of time before service, so I just did some red bliss potatoes with thyme, garlic clove and pork fat in the bag for a steak special we were running. They were awfully good potatoes.
    What temp and for how long?

-d

I believe it was 185 F for 20 minutes. I could be wrong, I don't have my notes in front of me so I cannot be sure. The potatoes were sliced about 1/4" thick. Nice easy thinkg to do because you can do it ahead of time. Cut them out of the bags and cool them, then just heat them up in a cast iron pan with some more pork or duck fat. They get nice and crisp but the inside texture is perfect and they do not break apart.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by deker View Post
    I'm thinking I'll let these cook until tomorrow night, or possibly Tuesday night, we'll see how patient I am. Currently set at 135F and I'll probably bump it up to ~140 about 12 hours before I pull them. the plan is then to finish them in a skillet with a little oil to put a nice crust on the outside. I'll probably stretch these into 3 meals since my wife doesn't care for short ribs. More for me!

More in a couple days.....

-d

I do my short ribs @ 130* for 3 days or 72 hours for medium rare and they come out perfect!!!Best of luck with yours, I'm sure you will enjoy them.....

Thomas keller recipe ftw!! There's a 48 hr short rib recipe as well I forget which book it's in but I believe it's 135*.

I do most veggies at 185 for about 30-45 minutes depending upon thickness/density. Unless they are like beets or something which take longer.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

So, my thermocouple/PID were a bit off on temperature (to the low side. verified with a meat thermometer and a candy thermometer), so I bumped things after the first couple of hours and it's been at 135 since. Just about 24 hours in and I'm hungry damnit!

-d

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

That site has a bunch of tables with all sorts of temps and times you can reference easily.

Totally worth the wait We settled on 140 degrees as our temp! We found hat in the 131-137 range it was delicious, but more steaklike than braiselike, anything above 150 seemed a bit much for extended (over 24 hour cooking), and at 140 we got a good compromise between pink and juicy and falling apart tender with the connective tissues gelatinizing in the process! YMMV though, our tests were in no means controlled or scientific. Here is what you can look forward to seeing:

Quote Originally Posted by Avishar View Post
    Totally worth the wait We settled on 140 degrees as our temp! We found hat in the 131-137 range it was delicious, but more steaklike than braiselike, anything above 150 seemed a bit much for extended (over 24 hour cooking), and at 140 we got a good compromise between pink and juicy and falling apart tender with the connective tissues gelatinizing in the process! YMMV though, our tests were in no means controlled or scientific. Here is what you can look forward to seeing:
    I definitely want that collagen conversion and falling apart tastyness, that's my favorite part. Maybe I should bump it up 5 degrees....I hate waiting...

-d

+ Reply to Thread