Quantcast
First attempt at sous vide.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt at sous vide....

Quote Originally Posted by Ratton View Post

I do my short ribs @ 130* for 3 days or 72 hours for medium rare and they come out perfect!!!Best of luck with yours, I'm sure you will enjoy them.....
    we do them at 56 C for 48 hours

Pulled at about 50 hours and opened the salt/pepper/garlic and seared them off. Flavor was great, but collagen conversion just wasn't there. Put the other two back in and bumped the temp 10F. Will try again tomorrow. On a good note, the dogs will be getting some great scraps in their bowls tonight!

-d

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just started my first batch of sous vide flank stank. My question is that when I'm done cooking with the water bath can I put them straight into the fridge for searing later or do I need to let them come down to room temperature before I stash them in the fridge? Thanks.

It is suggested that you let the meat "relax" for 10-15 minutes before you speed chill in an ice bath. At home you are allowed to do whatever you like, but commercially its best to chill as fast as possible after the rest. The less time the meat spends hanging out at hotter temps the longer it will maintain its integrity, or so we are told to believe :P

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I just started my first batch of sous vide flank stank. My question is that when I'm done cooking with the water bath can I put them straight into the fridge for searing later or do I need to let them come down to room temperature before I stash them in the fridge? Thanks.

It depends...if you are using zip locks you can go in hot because you are not limiting the oxygen in the bag...if you are sealing with a Vacuum sealer you have to chill your proteins or risk poisioning your guest with botulisum and listeria....with that being said and for the sake of good practice you should always start with cold proteins and always throughly chill cooked product in a ice bath before storage ...I don't have my notes handy or else I would offer you more specific temps

Thanks for the info guys. I am using vacuum sealed pouches so I will definitely chill in an ice bath before placing in the fridge.

40 degrees internally within 2 hours.

Salty did your local health department get guidelines set up and let you get back to it?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

So I have to update you guys on my flank steak venture. The flank steak was cooked to perfection (thanks Scotty) and it was absolutely fantastic. Thanks again for the storage info, everything turned out safe and tasty.