Media Oops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left it in the sink with the common folk.

I think that one is the white honyaki.

Still got a little edge goin on there.

What's the problem, I have a few that look like that :) Well, not quite...

Stefan

Perhaps this is how micro serration was invented?

At least it's of your own making, and you can fix it. I can live with an Oops, even if self inflicted, more than I can live with visitIng in-law abuse to the knives....

wow Scott, that must hurt :(
Good thing you know what to do about it.

Put it in the dishwasher?

Just joking. I suppose that if the rust is not too deep - which looks to be the case its savable without too much visible damage.

"A friend will help you move, a true friend will help you move a body." -some guy

Painful!

Bar Keepers Friend to the rescue! :nunchucks:

:sad0:

How does an owner let it get that bad and not either
1.Realize it's Rust
2. FIX it!
?!

It somehow gives me great comfort to know that this happens to others. :) Though you are a thousand times better than I am when it comes to whipping it back into some shiny, sexy beauty.

My story is usually that the kids get too grabby, so I move the knife to a safer place. I think it is dry and good to go, but while I am out at the grill my wife is using it to slice limes for her drink, watermelon for the kids etc. We eat, dishes pile up, knife is hidden, and when I do the dishes in the in the morning I find a nicely freckled blade -- often times with a rectangular chunk of cantaloupe still stuck to it giving the patina a nice random-box effect.

k.

I know you already fixed it and it looks better than new! Let us see it! :pirate1:

Recently someone who shall remain unnamed knocked mw whole knife kit into the steam table at work. How long it was in there I'll never know. When I found my bag later I remember it was hot and soaked through. I'm like, "Why is my bag hot?" My rehandled carving fork was totally ruined so I had to drill the scales off and start over on it. Many knives were rusted but fixable. However my Mioroshi Deba was beyond repair with my limited tools. The pitting was so deep in the ura it needed to be reground and also re mirror polished. This was returned to Konosuke at my own cost at about $300. Most of that price is actually just the shipping and customs.

Some people have no respect.

Like a vintage car guy says "hey it's just surface rust" In this case that's actually true. Oh how I love re-active knives.

Backside to the medal or just the way it is... I prefer knives that demands respect, image a knife that dident show a single sign after being left like that...even more scary.
Horrorstories from the pro kitchen...the chefs in my kitchen literally throws the knives into the sink - newly sharpend or not (both the cheap serrated victorinox and more pricy German f dick chefs knife)... Needless to say they think of me as a deranged nut!

Back