Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gengetsu semistainless gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    the engraving side is how i keep track of semi-stainless vs white #2

Very clever.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

That sounds great! Thanks!

I have had a few ho-wood handles so far and although they are well made and nice, it isn't my favorite material to hold. I concur about the "fuzzy" sort of feeling on it. To me, it just didn't feel "right" in hand, I know that's an odd way to try and describe something but it just didn't mesh right.

I found ho wood handles come right after a few coats of mineral oil/beeswax

Interesting point jimbob, I currently have a Sakai Yusuke that might benefit from a few coats.....

I will definitely say though that out of the box the ho wood wasn't exactly to my liking. Does the mineral oil/beeswax discolor the handle in way? I believe it can darken some woods so I'm wondering what impact it might have on handles....

Thanks

And sorry for the mini-hijack of the thread there, just something that came up about Ho-wood and didn't want to start a whole new thread.

It does darken slightly, but in a good grain revealing way.... My shigs were not fuzzy to start with but tanaka and a few Intinommon were and are lovely and smooth now.

How did a thread reviewing a Gengetsu, the one with the chestnut handles, filed in the review section, devolve into a discussion of ho wood?

Such a discussion has merit, but perhaps would be better in kitchen kinife. On its own. Or part of a discussion of handle materials.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Yes, sorry about that, should have probably used PM's for this or a separate thread, my mistake and I apologize. Didn't mean to get that off topic, just got carried away and a bit excited. Anyhow, sorry, back on topic!

An actual question about the knife, how do you feel it compares to some of the lasers currently out there like the Gesshin Ginga, Sakai Yusuke and Kono HD/HH series? It seems like it has a bit more "weight" to it than the lasers might yet still cuts super smoothly? Curious as I currently own a Sakai Yusuke and while I love the way it cuts, feel like something with a bit more weight to it might be something I enjoy even more....

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake03 View Post

An actual question about the knife, how do you feel it compares to some of the lasers currently out there like the Gesshin Ginga, Sakai Yusuke and Kono HD/HH series? It seems like it has a bit more "weight" to it than the lasers might yet still cuts super smoothly? Curious as I currently own a Sakai Yusuke and while I love the way it cuts, feel like something with a bit more weight to it might be something I enjoy even more....
    I don't think the Gengetsu will be confused with a laser. I had a Ginga and will prob have another. Also have a Suisin IH. The Gengetsu has a little more heft being a clad knife or as my redneck buddies would say "a little more ass to it". Stainless clad knives have become my favorite "go to" knives, cut great, sharpen well and don't show more colors than a mood ring. Try it, you'll like it.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

The only laser I've used thus far has been a tanaka blue#2; the gengetsu cuts like a laser but feels like a midweight knife

i would not consider the tanaka to be a laser in my experience... good knife, but not a laser