• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: R2 Damascus Tanaka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramenlegend

Reaction score
Hey guys,
looking to try out some of Tanaka's r2 steel. I'm open to styles and lengths. Send me a price if you're looking to sell. Also open to putting together a trade if I have something you're interested in.

Thanks guys!
Erik

Chuboknives has a good selection of Tanaka R2 knives. They have them listed as SG2 but in this thread here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/10067-R2-and-SG-2-steel Theory posts a message he received from Shigeki Tanaka himself.

Shigeki responded to my question, here is his response.

Hi there
"Super Gold 2", "R2" is the official name of the nickname among knife enthusiasts.
Although different finish, both exactly the same thing.

So there's his take on it.

Regardless of whether or not they in fact are the same steel, any knife made by Tanaka will be the same regardless of which of the two they are listed as, since he considers them to be the same steel.

I just traded mine, but I can tell you that his R2 is amazing. Great to sharpen, great to use. Good luck.

I haven't bought a tanaka from tbt, but I got a nogent from them. There was a slight problem and they really sorted me out well, at their cost.

I've bought a couple of Tanakas from TBT. No problems at all.

KKF comes through again! Thanks everybody, Thread can be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back