Bulk prep for long-term storage....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
I've always had an interest/fascination with doing kitchen prep in large quantities. I use to make nearly every thing in 5gallon increments.

All you pros can wait until you stop laughing before you continue reading <ahem>

I'd kinda gotten away from it by and large over the past few years. But with the chamber vac and lots of freezer space, and the PC opening up the possibility of canning....it's back on my mind. What kinds of things do you like to prep in bulk? what approaches do you use to organize the work?

for example, I'm considering making a 5gal batch of Dosa Batter...since it takes 3 days to make a good batter, having some frozen would cut that down to less than a single day. But I don't have a grinder that can hold 1 gallon, much less 5...so I'd have to grind in stages...initiating fermentation could be tricky too...my 5 gal vessel is about the same height as width, so should I stir every few hours to distribute the yeast?

These kinds of considerations are what make this approach fun/interesting to me...scale changes everything...esp when the scale of your equipment isn't changing in tandem--one of the things that makes home different from restaurant.

Obviously I'm talking more about the home cook...but I'm sure the pros have some thoughts as well.

Right now I'm exploring bacons, so canadian bacon and regular bacon. Going to wrap and freeze a good portion of that. I'm also going to make a garlic confit soon.

Outside of that it needs to be quick meals for us. 2.5 year old and 3 week old on hand, so meals have to be quick prep, quick cook. The no knead bread is good since it is an easy mix, rises overnight and then I can stick in the fridge until I'm ready to bake.

Down the road I'd like to do some of the stuff Mucho mentioned. Pickles, sausage, stock, jams.

I'd kinda gotten away from it by and large over the past few years. But with the chamber vac and lots of freezer space, and the PC opening up the possibility of canning....it's back on my mind. What kinds of things do you like to prep in bulk? what approaches do you use to organize the work?

I would love to prepare in bulk too as it just makes more sense but I live in a rented apartment with a tiny fridge. I don't even have space for leftovers.

I've always had an interest/fascination with doing kitchen prep in large quantities. I use to make nearly every thing in 5gallon increments.

All you pros can wait until you stop laughing before you continue reading <ahem>

for example, I'm considering making a 5gal batch of Dosa Batter...since it takes 3 days to make a good batter, having some frozen would cut that down to less than a single day. But I don't have a grinder that can hold 1 gallon, much less 5...so I'd have to grind in stages...initiating fermentation could be tricky too...my 5 gal vessel is about the same height as width, so should I stir every few hours to distribute the yeast?

These kinds of considerations are what make this approach fun/interesting to me...scale changes everything...esp when the scale of your equipment isn't changing in tandem--one of the things that makes home different from restaurant.

Obviously I'm talking more about the home cook...but I'm sure the pros have some thoughts as well.

Nonpro here but I shall suggest anyways....

Don't stir your yeast, just like in the wild, live organisms thrive best in untouched natural environments, so no touche.
Also this will burst your bubble but you can't (shouldnt) freeze your batter, it ends them same way if you were to try and freeze heavy cream. But if you do manage to find a way please let me know. Well on second thought maybe you can soak the lentils and once soft, then freeze them but as far as your culturing goes freezing it is not a viable option.

I make ghee flavored with garlic or bay leaf (Usually i make bay butter (or different fats, lard is my fav) where garlic and other softer herbs do well as a butter spread or melted on something, harder herbs =bay, rosemary, nutmeg etc..can stand up to the heat on the pan without diminishing flavor too much. Flavonoids and such usually give up at around 110*C) for the butter I usually do about 4 lb batches

Large batches of roasted garlic and caramelized onions, I have not done any fully put together meals in the freezer only parts or prepped ingredients like roasted apples and pie/pastry crusts, stock (ice) cubes, pastas.

I'm not sure what you can freeze that won't taste better fresher, maybe dehydrating meats and fungi increases flavor but both extremes of temperatures will diminish the flavor qualities of food, unless you can flash freeze it but then you have the problem of thawing it with ridiculous precision. maybe vacuum sealing potatoes, artichoke hearts, things that would oxidize.

Could you try something for me? If you can vacuum seal a steak or a red meat with a wood of your choosing and try to "marinade" the meat in the vacuum with the wood planks (like a sandwich)? Trying to infuse the wood into the meat. Maybe a 2 day marinade or if possible wet aging the meat, possibly the wood could soak in the water from the meat and possibly create a dry aging process in the vacuum. I would suggest sterilizing the wood first in the pc but that might take some flavor out of the wood, smoking the wood would in fact make it smoky which is not what I'm trying to go for, I want the clean crisp flavor of the wood. I only ask because I don't have the means yet to get a vacuum sealer.

Back