Quantcast
Any advice for a newbie? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any advice for a newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by iliria View Post

I saw a Henckels Four Star slicing knife (20cm blade) on sale for half price the other day and went ahead and bought it. Is Henckels as good a brand as the adverts say?
    received the knife today and I was very disappointed when I noticed that the blade was arched quite a bit. No wonder it was half price. Suffice to say it is going straight back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    If you want a knife that looks a bit more special, check out the JCK Inazuma half way down the page here http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SPECIALS.html It's more expensive than the Fujiwara, but it sounds like the damascus (wavy pattern as you put it.) finish is what you like.
    I am split between the Gyuto knives from the following brands: JCK Inazuma 240mm, The JCK Gekko 240mm, Fujiwara HKS 240mm or Kanetsugu Pro J 230mm. I like the damascus finish.

I have also heard that japanese knives also develop a patina through the years. Does this patina affect the damascus pattern? Or have I got everything wrong?

I am split between the Gyuto knives from the following brands: JCK Inazuma 240mm, The JCK Gekko 240mm, Fujiwara HKS 240mm or Kanetsugu Pro J 230mm. I like the damascus finish.

I have also heard that japanese knives also develop a patina through the years. Does this patina affect the damascus pattern? Or have I got everything wrong?
    Only on carbon knives so none of those you listed. Id stay away from knives with dimples like the Fujiwara HKS, I'd get the FKM. Between the Inazuma and the Gekko, they are fairly similar though they are made from different steels so it pretty much depends which you like the look of better. I have an Inazuma because I liked its appearance rather than the Gekko. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of these knives really. The Fujiwara is pretty much the standard for good value entry level knives, but the Gekko and Inazuma are also excellent value. I have no experience of the Kanetsuga so I can't comment on it

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Patina has nothing to do with the knife's country of origin, but rather the steel used in it's manufacture. Stainless steels have high levels of chromium, which prevent discoloration of the metal. "Carbon" steels or "Semi-stainless" steels have lower levels, which make them more prone to patina / rust. A heavy patina will obscure your damascene pattern.

I'd stay away from the HKS too. FKM/FKH would be better choices. Also may wanna try out the JCK CarboNext although is slightly above your budget.

By the way what's wrong with knives with dimples?

There's nothing wrong with them per se. They're supposed to make it so that food doesn't stick to the sides of the blade as easily. The problem is that most don't have any effect, whatsoever. Which means that you'll be paying extra for no real benefit. Again, it's not they are bad, it's just that few are worth it. The only ones I've used that actually work the way they're supposed to are the Glestain's, and they're way out of your price range.

The dimples also decrease the life of knives. When you grind it down to the dimpled bits the steel at the dimples is really thin and it messes up the profile. I've bought a few with dimples and they make no difference at all

+ Reply to Thread