Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masashi-Kobo knives

Masashi-Kobo knives

A new brand to the market from a "young" guy who has has a good training.

Masashi Yamamoto is the nephew of Tsuneo Yoshida, the owner and former master knife-maker at Yoshikane Knives and he learned his art at the hands of Yoshida san. As Yoshida san slows down and has effectively retired from the Yoshikane company, the other nephew Kazuomi Yamamoto has taken over.

Masashi Yamamoto has set up his own brand and the first off the line is the Masashi-Kobo SLD polished finish range of knives.

These are SLD steel and have a good flat profile, with charred chestnut handles AND a stunning polished finish. You can see how hard it is to photograph the knives without getting a reflection on the blade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120-petty-SLDa1000.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	24590

That's one shiny little sucker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Masashi-Gyuto-SLD-2401000.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	24591

The Gyuto has a good flat profile.

There are more knives coming from Masashi, including a suminigashi blade in the same vein as the Yoshikane Sumi.

Anyway, you can see more here: http://www.japanesechef.com.au/masashi.html

So finally Masashi knives are coming to shelves. I have heard about these some time ago and was very intrigued. It will be interesting to see some user reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    So finally Masashi knives are coming to shelves. I have heard about these some time ago and was very intrigued. It will be interesting to see some user reviews.
    I meant to write a review, coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

Look forward to your review.

Very intrigued by these guys. A bit taller than I prefer, but not so much so that I don't want to own one. How would you describe the geometry/grinds on these knives? Alos, do you ship to the US?

Hi Chip,

Masashi Yamamoto is one of nephews of Yoshide san, the owner of Yoshikane and as you'd expect, the closest knife you could compare the Masashi with, will be a Yoshikane. Masashi was one of the Yoshikane trio.
    The profile is quite flat after the tip to the heel and we think it has a good feel to it. Of course every knife is individual, but this is one of the flat belly knives that we like to see. Nice fine toothy grind.

We do send to the USA and the general details are here. http://www.japanesechef.com.au/international.html

You don't pay tax on our export stock and all our web prices already include the tax, so the price is the web price less the tax (10%), plus registered post of about $20-$25. You could expect to pay the same price as Australians, converted to USD.

Let me know if you need any help.
    Cheers
    Barry

I just ordered the Damascus Petty 150mm SLD. I'm going to keep it at work, to cut fruit, etc., whenever I have to eat at my desk. Can't wait to get it.

Cheers,

Jack

Hi all,

Did a bit of updating on the website with the Masashi-Kobo SLD specifications and measurements. I'll get to some photos in the next few days for an idea of the grind, profile and taper, etc.

http://www.japanesechef.com.au/masashi-sld.html

Let me know how it sits. No good if you don't like the info.

Cheers all
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    I meant to write a review, coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum
    If you've a minute to reply, I'd love to hear how you have gone with the knife so far ? Its on the table for consideration as my next 240 cm gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by OneS View Post
    If you've a minute to reply, I'd love to hear how you have gone with the knife so far ? Its on the table for consideration as my next 240 cm gyuto.
    The review chefcomesback already wrote may be found here:-): http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...o-review...But as far as I can remember, he has sold the knife in the meantime...