Making Sushi at home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw2geeks

Founding Member
Reaction score
How to make sushi at home... including where to get the fish!

I found Central Market 's secret stash of sushi grade fish. They have Tuna, Salmon, BBQ eel and Hamachi in a freezer labeled "Frozen Seafood" at the Fort Worth store. I use to have to travel to North Dallas to get the fish.

Shot a step-by-step video with sushi chef Thomas Reese on what you need to buy and how to prepare sushi at home.

[video=youtube_share;Y3wUntEvUAw]http://youtu.be/Y3wUntEvUAw[/video]

That man needs a yanagiba stat! Overall I enjoyed the video and the fact that having never tried making sushi before, the video presented it in a non-intimidating way. The music though… was tough to stomach :puke: . As alway, I appreciate you sharing your photos, articles and videos! Also wanted to note that the camera work was rock solid, nice!

Thanks Pete, since the video was for beginners we decided to use a slandered chefs knife to make it less intimidating. Sorry about the music.

Central market is a great store. I've found their selection of seafood and meats to be awesome (at least at westgate in Austin)

I've made sushi once from their sushi stash. It was very good quality.

Thanks for the vid, maybe I'll get back into it.

Thanks for the video! I think the romaji for 握り寿司 is nigiri, but otherwise it looks very useful. The California roll is not something I've tried before, but looks good.

Music didn't bother me, but I'm not particularly critical of anything without lyrics. :D

Nice work Steve! I was going to mention the knife, but saw someone already did that and you already replied...makes great sense, sometimes I forget Im not the typical audience.

Yea, we actully recorded a section comparing knives, but I decided to leave it out since the video was already getting long.

The Market guy stated it is mandatory to freeze the fish (FDA requires it as well), but many sushi bars skirt this and serve never frozen fish.

Very nice, if I could ever find quality fish I would love to try this

Very nice, if I could ever find quality fish I would love to try this

This is why eating raw fish was a lot less common in the past than it is today. You'd have to live near the coast (Edomae sushi vs Kyoto sushi).

Even now sashimi-grade fish is pretty much beyond my reach :(

Back