Hiromoto rehandled and etched by Tim Johnson

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I just had a 240 mm Hiromoto rehandled and etched by Tim Johnson. This is the result:

I'm quite happy with it!

Originally the plan was to have the knife thinned before etching. But apparently Hiromoto have changed their production. This knife was already very thin behind the edge. Luckily the etching still worked out beautifully without the thinning.

Nice! now how does it perform? oh and what's the wood at the very end of the handle? it looks awesome

It performs great! It's a Hiromoto and very thin behind the edge :) . The woods are maple burl (lighter wood) and black dyed Hawaiian silky oak.

It looks like a spalted maple to me

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

My guess would be that it alludes to the Hiromoto being thin enough already that it didn't need or couldn't benefit from additional thinning....

Also, might be the part about Hiro changing their production, I thought they were stopping?

I think Tim is a really under appreciated guy in the world of knife modifications. He does really nice work and is a great guy.
Yours looks great!

I might as well weigh in, quickly, but I still want to make it clear that I like Tim and his work:

The Hiromoto AS gyutos that I've worked with/handled/used were surprisingly different in terms of their grinds. If I had to make a generalization, I'd say that the older ones were a tad thicker, with the 240s staying fairly robust throughout. The 210s, however cut really nicely with nothing more than a good edge on them. By this, I mean that they were fairly thin to begin with. I don't know for sure that a newer 240 couldn't benefit from thinning, but sometimes guys do go overboard, and seem to want to make everything paper thin. I'm guessing Tim didn't feel it was necessary, and as a result, didn't thin it. Though, I could be wrong.

I'm also curious what you mean by this comment. I'd rather get some clarity before making a guess and responding.

At the time of my comment, photos were not visible.

FYI, I believe this work was performed by Tim Johnson (of Black Stone Knife) in MA, rather than the Tim Johnson that goes by Taz in CT.

Correct. This has caused quite a bit of confusion :) . I also have a knife by Taz575 and can say that both do great work!

Well, for my taste and use it is now pretty much perfect out of the box. I'll still sharpen it a bit more, but that's the edge, not behind the edge.

Let's not forget this is not a laser, but a work-horse.

I got an email telling me I assumed wrong, Tim-wise. I don't know this Tim, but he seems to be a pretty talented dude. :)

Well, for my taste and use it is now pretty much perfect out of the box. I'll still sharpen it a bit more, but that's the edge, not behind the edge.

Let's not forget this is not a laser, but a work-horse.
What kind of edge did Taz put on it?

Back