Need some advice about shun,thank you

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yayama

Reaction score
Hi , I most use knives are Wusthof classic 16 cm chef's knife and gourmet 17cm(sorry ,I don't know it's name!this one only for cut veggies ), I am right hand
Seems lot people talk about shun,said it is very sharp ,so I want to get one
My wish list is shun Edo 6 piece knife block ,sharpening steel and bamboo block ,but the other 4 knives are most useful ,like 8.25 inch bread knife ,5.5 inch utility knife,4 inch parking knife and 8.5 inch chef's knife , but the price is 499 ,way over budget ,
So my question is should I buy whole set or just one chef's knife? If whole set where to get the cheap price ? How to take care of those Japanese knife? Really need buy shun's 300/1000 water stone? Thanks
I never use water stone ,only saw my dad and grandpa did,but they use iron knife in china .
My poor English ,hope someone can understand .:O

By the way,another question, shun will cut fingers easy ? So far when I was 16 I cut my left thumb . This is the only cut .

Yayama, Go for the iron (carbon steel) knife, if you can get your grandpa/dad's, this might be your best bet. Learn to use a waterstone, I find Jon Brodia from Japanese Knife Imports sharpening videos the most helpful. YOUTUBE

Purchasing a knife is largely personal preference. Most members on this form prefer hand made knives over mass produced ones like Shun. That doesn't make them bad knives, depends on what your looking for. Most members agree its NOT a good idea to buy knives as a set. Its really more Marketing than logic.

Suggestion: Buy a 210 Gyuto and learn to sharpen it. Then look for another knife if you need it. If you'd like suggestions on which Gyuto to purchase, consider filling this out.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

Welcome to KKF

^^ Well said mucho bucho ^^ I agree wholeheartedly, a knife block is not the best idea, especially how much they are going to charge you for such a thing, my reccomendations are to get a 210 or Santoku, a 150ish petty knife, a bread knife, and maybe a parer, to round out your set.

oh yea and I forgot a sharpening stone to start off with, a 1000/6000 King combo, or something of the sort?

If you're not going to a school that gets discounts on Shun, it is probably not a very good deal and you should look for a different kind of knife. There are many good knives that are not too expensive, but very good cheap knives usually require a little more care.

A good knife is not very hard to use or care for, but it requires a little learning. You do not need many knives, but a long and a short is good, and buy any other knife you need depending on what you cook.

Sharp knives do not stay sharp. If you like a sharp knife, good sharpening ability is important. A little learning and practice, but not very hard.

Do not worry too much about your English, and welcome to KKF. If you need any language help, I can help.

Yayama, Go for the iron (carbon steel) knife, if you can get your grandpa/dad's, this might be your best bet. Learn to use a waterstone, I find Jon Brodia from Japanese Knife Imports sharpening videos the most helpful. YOUTUBE

Purchasing a knife is largely personal preference. Most members on this form prefer hand made knives over mass produced ones like Shun. That doesn't make them bad knives, depends on what your looking for. Most members agree its NOT a good idea to buy knives as a set. Its really more Marketing than logic.

Suggestion: Buy a 210 Gyuto and learn to sharpen it. Then look for another knife if you need it. If you'd like suggestions on which Gyuto to purchase, consider filling this out.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hich-Knife-Should-I-Buy-quot-Questionnaire-v2

Welcome to KKF

Thank you so much, maybe next time I need find a iron knife,seems now most Chinese people use steel knife, I remember iron knife always have rusty wood handle ,and need sharp all the time

^^ Well said mucho bucho ^^ I agree wholeheartedly, a knife block is not the best idea, especially how much they are going to charge you for such a thing, my reccomendations are to get a 210 or Santoku, a 150ish petty knife, a bread knife, and maybe a parer, to round out your set.

Yeah, I agree with you , most useful knives are just couple,santoku is nice .thank you

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chif's knife ,santoku
Are you right or left handed?
Right hand
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Probably both
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Inch
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Under $300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Above all,
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Wusthof chef's knife,
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Chef's knife
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
More sharp,so I can cut more thin
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Probably yes

If you're not going to a school that gets discounts on Shun, it is probably not a very good deal and you should look for a different kind of knife. There are many good knives that are not too expensive, but very good cheap knives usually require a little more care.

A good knife is not very hard to use or care for, but it requires a little learning. You do not need many knives, but a long and a short is good, and buy any other knife you need depending on what you cook.

Sharp knives do not stay sharp. If you like a sharp knife, good sharpening ability is important. A little learning and practice, but not very hard.

Do not worry too much about your English, and welcome to KKF. If you need any language help, I can help.

Thank you , I like cut veggies or meat more thin, not all the time,just for some special cuisine ,probably the best for me just get 2 or 3 knives, truth is I want to see how thin the shun can cut ,so far I am interesting in chef's knife and santoku knife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Cut, slicing ,chop

Yayama,

I had a couple Shun's, and they're not bad, they cut well, and I learned to sharpen on them... It's Stainless Steel, so lower maintanance, but the steel they use is very "chippy" -- when you cut something hard, it can make a small hole on the edge. There are many better knives for the price available. I personally prefer the Carbon Steel knives, what you've called iron knives, but they do rust and get dirty. I'd recommend you try one of the brands this forum recommends, not the better advertised Shuns, I rarely use them anymore, only if I'm afraid my Carbon's will get dirty.

Gesshin Uraku 165 SKD Santoku comes with a wooden saya. Japanese Knife Imports, better blade geometry than the Shun, nice octagon Ho wood handle. Less expensive than the Shun but a better knife.

Back