What Magnets for making wooden knife rack?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am going to make a magnetic knife rack. I want to counter sink the magnets into the back of the board so that there is a nice clean face for the knives to rest against. Wanted to know what magnets would be best for such an application. Any direction / advice on what to look for or where to get said magnets would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Byron

neodymium magnet are available in different strengths. I've bought some from KJmagnetics

I do believe N52 neodymium magnets are the strongest grade currently available. Amazon has them. To build a magnetic knife rack, I'd use recessed ring magnets with a minimum of 6lbs pull each.

McMaster Carr has a wonderful, although very expensive, selection of ring magnets. I only post this link as it is a good place to look to get ideas of what magnetic material is commercially available and what pull force one should expect from a given volume of magnetic material.http://www.mcmaster.com/#ring-magnets/=uavb0x

I have used something about N48 (there is not all that much difference between the classes), 10mm in diameter and 5mm thick. I have placed them from behind some 2mm from the front surface - and the rack is strong enough. I have used 2 rows of magnets with 10mm separation between the neighbouring magnets. You will find more details here

Latest posts

Back