Sous Vide Tip for cutting hole in Cambro lid for Anova

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tried cutting a Cambro lid with a utility blade which was a nightmare, so I found something online where a guy was trying make plastic O rings using a hole saw. So I picked up this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LT5JE4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) for $10 shipped with Prime and it worked like a charm. Perfect hole for the Anova, literally fits like a glove with a few minutes of sanding out the circle. Use utility knife to cut a notch for the holding mechanism. They key is to run the hole saw backwards to melt out the plastic hole.

DSCN1086.JPG

DSCN1087.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Does this mean the cambro is completely sealed? Given that the temp in these things is usually above 100F, it seems like that would trap a lot of vapor...is that likely to cause vapor/condensation inside the casing of the Anova?

Good question, I don't know. Everything I've read online seems to say a good lid helps heat loss but perhaps the anova is designed to not be used with a lid. That being said, I've seen others make right lids for their anova.

Be interesting to see how they respond...and how it performs :)

Also, FWIW, I wrap mine with a bath towel to slow heat loss.

I just emailed anova. I would assume its fine since everything below the lid is the metal casing.

Smooth move - cutting plastic with a utility knife can be a disaster both to the work piece and yourself.

2 3/4" hole saw. Easy Squeezy. Some temp and moisture vent around unit but not enough to worry about unless into multi-day cook. Used a skill saw to notch edge.

To anyone emailing Anova, if "Shermie" responds, ask for one of the smart kids... Ask me how I know.

2014-09-03%2017.39.13.jpg

So what would you do for a multi day cooking? Remove lid entirely or have a lid with bigger hole?

I've had a few emails from Shermie, but only "is such and such in stock" type stuff. Do tell!

I'm going to write a book about their customer service under the SV section.

But she did respond to the email:

Anova V1 Heating Unit Failed

... "The unit happily circulates tap water with no heating taking place. "

with:

Re: Anova V1 Heating Unit Failed

"You can cover the container with a towel to insulate and then cover it all with foil to help with the temperature control. Sometimes those 2 things can make the temperature holding more consistent since heat loss will be minimized."

So in a left handed way she addressed the heat loss question. It just wasn't the question I asked.:(

To Anova's credit a phone call yielded a much more responsive answer and a FedEx return label is expected soon.

I don't use lids but I mummify plastic wrap the sh!t out of my multiday cooks with my PolyScience. The unit is meant to be submerged, why would water vapor (below the level of the top of the container) bother it?

That's what I was thinking. Lid will accomplish the same thing.

Btw, heard back from anova and Shermie said the same thing as above, I can use cloth a d aluminum foil. Head slap. I replied, thank you but wht about a lid as I described below.

One other thing. Anyone have any issues with their anova's base resting on the containers wall? Does the heat up against the plastic cause any problems?

Have not had that prob. Some containers (cambro vs carlisle vs materials) are better about hanging vertically. Will look when home.

That may be all Sherrie knows. Q: It fell off a roof and broke into a thousand prices... A: "wrap it with a towel and alum foil"

Suppose I am confused. I have a anova and a cambro. I have obviously done multi hour cooks, never multi day cooks. My point is even on 5 hour cooks my temps have never dropped, why would I worry about them for multi day? Are you simply trying to save a little energy?

I don't use lids but I mummify plastic wrap the sh!t out of my multiday cooks with my PolyScience. The unit is meant to be submerged, why would water vapor (below the level of the top of the container) bother it?

I'm wondering if by sealing around the unit, it might force vapor above the top plate of the impeller/heating element chamber...i.e. in to the space occupied by the electronics...was just my first thought when I read the OP.

From anova:

"Upon checking it with our back office team, it should be okay. Just monitor it and make sure nothing forms under the screen"

From anova:

"Upon checking it with our back office team, it should be okay. Just monitor it and make sure nothing forms under the screen"

:thumbsup: Excellent.

Now if you guys would just check if your anova is leaning in the container much. Just bottom edge of mine is. Maybe insert a Teflon ring?

This is pic of mine in "translucent" Cambro. The $10 one. The circulator bottom touches the inside of the container - because the walls of the container are not rigid enough and flex inward with the weight of the circulator. Note: This is how I've used mine. The circulator touches at the bottom but I've not experienced an issue it.

2014-09-04%2015.32.52.jpg

This is my unit in a Carlisle, clear polysomething. The $12 one. Imagine Cambro "Stor-Plus" would be the same. The wall of the unit does not flex enough for the circulator to touch.

2014-09-04%2015.30.48.jpg

While looking at these in the catalog, I found that the translucent version is rated to hold 160F liquid, the clear is rated at +200F. I'm going clear when my unit is replaced.

That sure was a long answer to a short question.

Suppose I am confused. I have a anova and a cambro. I have obviously done multi hour cooks, never multi day cooks. My point is even on 5 hour cooks my temps have never dropped, why would I worry about them for multi day? Are you simply trying to save a little energy?

Yes there is less load using a lid (so some energy savings and more importantly less load on the unit in the long run) and your temps will be more consistent, but the main reason you should use a cover on longer cooks is to prevent evaporation. Sure you can keep adding water but that can also cause temperature fluctuation.

Thanks Brianh for the tip.

Isn't the main problem with multi-day cooks having the water evaporate and the unit auto-shut-off on you? A lid or cover of some sort prevents this, so it is more than temp control but water control too. Justin0505 (who hasn't been on the forum in ages) uses an igloo cooler with one of those thick styrofoam insulation carved to suit his Sansaire. He says it works like a charm because it is essentially an insulated box with very little heat loss.

This is what I do. I ordered a bulk cling wrap box and have it right next to my SV setup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NEW8Z4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always read that the best solution is to use a layer of floating ping pong balls. This is good because they are a) reusable and b) it is easy to pull your product out of the bath without having to reseal it after or trashing a bunch of plastic wrap, foil, etc.

I don't have any experience with the Anova but I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

Having trouble understanding how ping pong balls would stop watervapor.

Another use for the lid is to keep stuff from accidentally (or otherwise for those with kids) dropping into the bath.

The longest cook I've done so far has been 48 hrs. I think I added 2C of water to the 12 Qt container during the cook. 5%?

I've done 72 hours several times now. I don't have a lid at all, I just use a towel. I lose at least 2C/day. Cool trick for the thermopen though...I adjust my tap water to match the set temp of the SV so I can add water within a degree of the target temp. Works pretty well, almost no temp drop, even when adding a quart of water to a 4G pot.

Another use for the lid is to keep stuff from accidentally (or otherwise for those with kids) dropping into the bath.

The longest cook I've done so far has been 48 hrs. I think I added 2C of water to the 12 Qt container during the cook. 5%?

Somebody posted about floating a raft of rubber duckies on top of the bath for their insulating properties. And they no doubt helped pass the time. Don't remember if it was Mr D, Z or ???

Back