Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best Knife Profile

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Eyebolling ht is like mastrubating with sandpaper, it will never be good.

4 makers Are great:
    Devin, bob, Bill and carter.
    Carter eyeballs the HT of his knives, if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    DT ITK is the best stainless I got. DT ITK petty did not impress me still devin is at top 3 blademakers out there. Shigefusa is the best profile and geometry, but he and his sons got stuck i the ironage. Eyebolling ht is like mastrubating with sandpaper, it will never be good.

4 makers Are great:
    Devin, bob, Bill and carter.
    4 makers might become great:
    Pierre, michael, marko and dave.
    I don't think anyone has ever complained about the heat treat on a Shigefusa. They found one carbon steel they love and they make it really well. Does not mean they are stuck in the iron age. Carter and Bill Burke also heat treat by eye I believe.

This thread isn't about what custom makers are great or might be great. This thread is about edge profile.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Depends upon what grit you use.

Reminds me of the joke thread post about the mountain man.

Getting back on topic a little bit...

We need to make a distinction between geometry and profile here. I love my Mizuno geometry, and the profile is very good, though I think I might like the Masamoto KS profile a little better. The profile of the Shig reminds me a lot of my Mizuno. Long, long flat from the heel, but then a gradual curve to the tip. It makes for interesting cutting technique, as you can't really easily push cut near the tip for delicate work. This curve allows the knife (which is narrow, by a lot of gyuto standards) to function as a slicer readily enough, and it allows for some board work with the tip, but you have to use a bit more of a rock to your push cut, which some people might prefer anyway. Not a lot of rock, just a little wrist twitch as you are going down and forward to make sure you don't make accordion food. The flat near the heel is perfect though. And the convex geometry is killer.

I like the flat area near the tip (what Salty calls the sweet spot) on the KS, and would love to try one out some day and see how it compared to the Mizuno. I'd say if you are a gyuto person who likes to use the tip for a majority of board work, then the KS is a perfect knife. If you like to use the gyuto as more of an all rounder, both for slicing and chopping, and you do your chopping more towards the back half of the knife, the Shig/Mizuno profile can't be beat.

Here's a short vid of my Mizuno 270. Note how long the flat at the heel is in relation to the board at the beginning of the video.

we're in complete agreement, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    Getting back on topic a little bit...

We need to make a distinction between geometry and profile here. I love my Mizuno geometry, and the profile is very good, though I think I might like the Masamoto KS profile a little better. The profile of the Shig reminds me a lot of my Mizuno. Long, long flat from the heel, but then a gradual curve to the tip. It makes for interesting cutting technique, as you can't really easily push cut near the tip for delicate work. This curve allows the knife (which is narrow, by a lot of gyuto standards) to function as a slicer readily enough, and it allows for some board work with the tip, but you have to use a bit more of a rock to your push cut, which some people might prefer anyway. Not a lot of rock, just a little wrist twitch as you are going down and forward to make sure you don't make accordion food. The flat near the heel is perfect though. And the convex geometry is killer.

I like the flat area near the tip (what Salty calls the sweet spot) on the KS, and would love to try one out some day and see how it compared to the Mizuno. I'd say if you are a gyuto person who likes to use the tip for a majority of board work, then the KS is a perfect knife. If you like to use the gyuto as more of an all rounder, both for slicing and chopping, and you do your chopping more towards the back half of the knife, the Shig/Mizuno profile can't be beat.

Here's a short vid of my Mizuno 270. Note how long the flat at the heel is in relation to the board at the beginning of the video.

Actually, profile of Mizuno is almost identical to Shigefusa, but Shigefusa is longer than Mizuno (240mm measures 255-260mm).
    I think Masamoto has one distinctive profile that is not widely replicated (working on it).

M

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Actually, profile of Mizuno is almost identical to Shigefusa, but Shigefusa is longer.
    I think Masamoto has one distinctive profile, but many other can fall into the category of Shigefusa-like profile.

M
    yeah, my 240 Shig is nearly as long as my 270 Miz. the geometry of the blades are different through.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Actually, profile of Mizuno is almost identical to Shigefusa, but Shigefusa is longer than Mizuno (240mm measures 255-260mm).
    I think Masamoto has one distinctive profile that is not widely replicated (working on it).

M

Don't you mean that Sab Nogets haven't been properly replicated, other than by Masamoto?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yeah, Marko, my Miz 270 measures about 263 from heel to tip. Everyone I've ever heard who has used a KS says they run long. In fact I think most of the knives in the KS series run long.

My Masamoto is 25cm heel to tip so it's only a little long