Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fresh Pasta

Pasta is a generations old peasant food, easy to make with eggs and AP flour. No need for water, oil or salt unless you want to use them. Mixing, kneading in a food processor, rolling and cutting is a pretty quick learn and will get you better than 95% of what you buy in a box. It's lighter, tastes better and guests love it

Kneading by hand, going with better flour and other higher end ingredients will get you in the top 1%.

Most of the time I knead by hand, use 3 eggs for 2 cups of AP flour, knead, rest 15 min. roll and cut. I'm going to try semolina next.

i always like to do only semolina and egg yolks... i've done a bunch of other ones, but i just love the way it turns out

I did ramen noodles last night. Using flour, water and kansui. Really nice and chewy!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I think my next pasta is going to be pappardelle. For some reason it is impossible to find where I live and my wife has been begging for it. I know there are pappardelle cutters, but I saw some neat rolling technique on Iron Chef the other night. They always do pastas, so I have been paying attention to how they make it a bit more.

I also got "The Pasta Machine Coookbook" today and now my inspiration is going wild (too fast). There is a recipe for apricot corn pasta (semolina, cornmeal, and apricot nectar). I think I am going to substitute agave nectar when making pappardelle and serve it with some fish on top . Maybe thin cut walleye strips or catfish.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I think my next pasta is going to be pappardelle. For some reason it is impossible to find where I live and my wife has been begging for it. I know there are pappardelle cutters, but I saw some neat rolling technique on Iron Chef the other night. They always do pastas, so I have been paying attention to how they make it a bit more.

I also got "The Pasta Machine Coookbook" today and now my inspiration is going wild (too fast). There is a recipe for apricot corn pasta (semolina, cornmeal, and apricot nectar). I think I am going to substitute agave nectar when making pappardelle and serve it with some fish on top . Maybe thin cut walleye strips or catfish.

k.
    just roll out sheets, cut rectangles, and hand cut pappardelle... thats how everyone i know does it

Yeah, that sheet thing was how I was going to do it, but this guy on IC rolled the sheets like a jelly roll and then cut it like a loin. It was easy to get uniform width.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Yeah, that sheet thing was how I was going to do it, but this guy on IC rolled the sheets like a jelly roll and then cut it like a loin. It was easy to get uniform width.

k.
    That's how we have done it.

BTW, the best use of pappardelle is in pappardelle con cinghiale (my user name namesake)

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    That's how we have done it.

BTW, the best use of pappardelle is in pappardelle con cinghiale (my user name namesake)
    +1 to that!!

I prefer the old fashioned recipe: 4 cups AP flour in the Kitchen Aid mixer and add eggs until the consistency is right -- usually 6. The heavy duty Kitchen Aid will knead it, though I ruined a little Kitchen Aid doing this. I always let the dough rest for 30 minutes after kneading. I freeze some of the dough. When thawed it is just like new. After rolling out, I usually use the fettucini cutter, but sometimes her ladyship likes the dough rolled out and put on the counter for her to cut by hand to desired odd shapes. Then flour one sliced green tomato (for two people) with salt and pepper, saute in olive oil, add milk and fresh ground nutmeg to build a Bechemel sauce, and toss in the cooked pasta. It usually requires a fair amount of pasta water to loosen. Delicious.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.