Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Pasta

Fresh Pasta

I just got a Marcato pasta roller and I am loving it. I made fresh past 2 of the last 4 nights. Now the wife says she doesn't want dry pasta anymore.

Anyone have some tasty fresh pasta recipes?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I made ravioli last weekend using stuff on hand. I always try to keep a few quarts of my meat sauce in the freezer, usually making 10 quarts at a time, so I used that, and had some mozz and pecorino-romano in the fridge for filling. It was delicious and simple. My tomatoes and basil are coming in now, and I'm hoping to roast the tomatoes and make into sauce, and make pesto from the basil. Ain't nothing like fresh pasta!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Try some cracked peppercorns in the pasta dough. Small pieces, maybe even just a real coarse grind.

Butternut squash sage brown butter ravioli is great.

Porcini powder mixed into the dough can add a subtle earthy flavor.

There were a couple ravioli filling recipes on a thread a month or two ago, including some ideas for braised pork or ribs. Sounded really good!

That powder sounds like a good idea. So far I have only done spaghetti and tagliatelle. I also picked up a chitarra from Fantes for a couple other sizes of fettucini. I think I am going to try playing with the dough a couple of times and then work on fillings.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Fantes rocks. We make it a point to visit 1-2xs/ yr. It's become an integral part of the ECG weekend for us

Another dough tweak I have seen is adding a splash of white wine to the mix. It is very subtle, but adds a little bit of enhanced flavor.

Is this the pasta roller you got? I've never looked into making my own pasta and now I'm really intrigued, this is good enough to get the job done? I would only be feeding 3-4 people maybe once a week so I wouldn't want to spend too much money.

http://www.amazon.com/Marcato-Atlas-...0419833&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Is this the pasta roller you got? I've never looked into making my own pasta and now I'm really intrigued, this is good enough to get the job done? I would only be feeding 3-4 people maybe once a week so I wouldn't want to spend too much money.

http://www.amazon.com/Marcato-Atlas-...0419833&sr=8-1
    Yep, that is the one. With that model you will be able to switch the hand crank and use it for tagliatelle and a fine spaghetti too as it has two cutters built in. It is surprisingly easy to make fresh pasta, but next I want to start mixing the dough in a food processor to save in clean up time. Right now I am doing it by hand. I suspect once I get this down I could mix the dough and roll a noodle pasta in roughly the time it takes to boil the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Fantes rocks. We make it a point to visit 1-2xs/ yr. It's become an integral part of the ECG weekend for us

Another dough tweak I have seen is adding a splash of white wine to the mix. It is very subtle, but adds a little bit of enhanced flavor.
    Now that wine is a very good idea.

k.

Next time any of you are in Philly, LMK. I go by Fante's frequently.