cooking demonstration on tv?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared08

Reaction score
In my new position, I and several other chefs in the area, have been contacted by the local news stations to do a skills/cooking demonstration for a morning piece.
Have any of you ever done this? What did you demonstrate?
I'm caught between doing something for show that's cool or considering the audience that will watch it and do something pedestrian and showing a proper technique to use at home?

Thanks in advance
Jared

I teach cooking classes for a local organization...FWIW, I find that about 85% of the people that show up for these classes are there to be entertained and fed, almost none of them will ever try anything I demo, but a few will treat it as educational and apply it to their cooking in some way.

YMMV.

In my new position, I and several other chefs in the area, have been contacted by the local news stations to do a skills/cooking demonstration for a morning piece.
Have any of you ever done this? What did you demonstrate?
I'm caught between doing something for show that's cool or considering the audience that will watch it and do something pedestrian and showing a proper technique to use at home?

Thanks in advance
Jared

Of course as an amateur home cook I've never done anything like what has been requested of you, but would think it would be most helpful to talk to your contact who asked you to do a demonstration, and ask them about the intended audience, and what the station thinks about the desired demonstration of skill level, etc. Chances are, if you work with them like that, they'll be more pleased, and it will be more likely consonant with what they think will work best. IMHO

Do you really believe morning shows are educational?

Morning shows are flash and glitz.

Do something entertaining and quick

Keep in mind that the whole reason you want to be doing this is to plug your restaurant. So show off something that is straight forward, easy to prepare/plate, and in line with what y'all do. Instead of a technique to teach the audience, use the dish to explain why they want to come eat there (locally sourced, unusual flavors/technique, nostalgic/comforting, affordable etc).

Don't drink too much coffee in the AM.

I've been the "assistant" on a few of these, morning show spots and a video promotion of a cookbook. As noted above they are more for entertainment than education. The better one's have the chef doing more talking to audience, establishing rapport with the camera, than working the food.

With holiday seasons coming pumpkin pie, carving a turkey, making couple sides are all easy pitches. Figure 5 min to select a bird, roast it , carve it, present it. Complete recipes are of course available on your website at .....

what ever you decide to do, make sure you try to be as entertaining as possible! show a lot of personality, you want people to think it was fun watching that segment. they're not going to remember what ever cooking you did anyway.

I would advise you to use corn starch slurry/roux thickening or some sort of binder for any sauces you may use for plating. It doesnt matter if it compromises the sauce, the people watching arent actually going to taste the dish. I found this out the hard way.

I would make sure whatever you decide to do takes less time then they say you have. I don't think I've ever seen a local chef finish what they've started. The morning show peeps are great at filling time and will do it by helping plug your store.

Back