Looking for an entry level japanese knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stump_nola

Reaction score
I've looked at several different knives that I feel would benefit my needs. I would like for the experienced members to give feedback on the following knives I've identified and if there are any additional not listed please provide details.

- JCK CarboNext 210mm Gyuto
- Misono Stainless Molybdenum Steel
- Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Gingami #3 Series
- Takamura Migaki R2 (this one is the most expensive and would consider if it is an exceptional knife in comparison to the others)

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef / Gyuto & Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) yes & no.
Would be ok w/carbon or carbon blend if someone could explain maintenance.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$100-150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home use exclusively

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
slicing / chopping veggies, cutting meat and poultry. Knife will not be used for any bone breaking.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
El Cheapo Victoriniox Chef's knive 8"

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Probably use all three types.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cut & rocking motion mainly but would like to use/try the others.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Sharpness & edge retention, balance.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Definitely easy to sharpen since I an just starting to sharpen my own knives.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
At least 2-4 weeks of light to medium use.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
yes, wood.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
will be, stones ordered.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
have some on order

Thanks
Eddie

I was in the exact same situation a few weeks ago. I got the Hiromoto AS instead of the G3. i really like the carbon core with the stainless cladding, best of both worlds i think. i have not had any issues with the carbon steel reacting with food and i have been cutting all the reactive stuff like onions, pineapples etc. for a few bucks more i think it was a good choice. maintenance has just been wiping it dry after use, no biggie.

Abandon rock-chopping and learn sharpening on a basic carbon blade, like a Fujiwara FKH, Misono Swedish or a Thiers-Issard.

I was in the exact same situation a few weeks ago. I got the Hiromoto AS instead of the G3. i really like the carbon core with the stainless cladding, best of both worlds i think. i have not had any issues with the carbon steel reacting with food and i have been cutting all the reactive stuff like onions, pineapples etc. for a few bucks more i think it was a good choice. maintenance has just been wiping it dry after use, no biggie.

How is it to sharpen? I've never sharpened Carbon steel or a carbon blend.

How is it to sharpen? I've never sharpened Carbon steel or a carbon blend.

easier than stainless steel. i thinned the blade a bit and put a new bevel on it a few nights ago and it was really easy. carbon sharpens really nicely and has better feedback too. i sharpened one of my old junky stainless blades last night and it was a pain compared to the Hiro AS.

what stones did you order?

Abandon rock-chopping and learn sharpening on a basic carbon blade, like a Fujiwara FKH, Misono Swedish or a Thiers-Issard.

what do you use (other than rock chopping)?

easier than stainless steel. i thinned the blade a bit and put a new bevel on it a few nights ago and it was really easy. carbon sharpens really nicely and has better feedback too. i sharpened one of my old junky stainless blades last night and it was a pain compared to the Hiro AS.

what stones did you order?

Thanks for the info.
The three stone set, Beston 500, Bester 1.2k and Suhiro Rika 5k.

Is a thick blade better than a thin blade?
Not real sure which qualities to look for in a knife.

Push cutting or slicing.

i am a push/pull cutter apparently. guess i always thought that was "chopping" but from what im seeing on youtube that fits what i do the most for veggies, etc.

this is mostly how i cut: [video=youtube;52JuxmSFDv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52JuxmSFDv0[/video]

that's very different from what we refer to as push or pull cutting... we call that rocking. Most japanese knives are not particularly conducive to this technique.

that's very different from what we refer to as push or pull cutting... we call that rocking. Most japanese knives are not particularly conducive to this technique.

happen to have a link to a video of the different cutting motions? just want to get it right.

sorry to OP for derailing.

More like the beginning of this video

[video=youtube;2YKRnv0aq-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YKRnv0aq-8[/video]

I would not recommend the Carbonext. It has been underwhelming in edge stability. Perhaps I got one with a bad heat treat. Others have had the same experience as me as well while some have had no issues. You might be able to save some money and go with a Tojiro DP for the same or better performance.

If I were to go with a Fujiwara, which one would be best? Carbon Steel or Stainless?
I really like the Hiromoto & Takamura but since I am just beginning to sharpen knives with stones, I really dont want to get a really good knife and risk the chance of messing up the blade.

I would recommend Carbonext. I got one for my sister and she could not be any happier.
Hiromoto would be a great contender as well, however I would go with AS.

From your list, I would get the Takamura R2 for myself. Not because its any better (could be/could be not) but just because I am wanted to try it for a while now.

I like the Carbonext and that one was recommended by Koki. I like the look and the metal but some of the reviews are mixed. Kind of hard to determine if I should take a chance with it or go another route.
The Takamura is fine but will probably wait until next year to get it just to give me some time on sharpening stones. Plus I need to convince the co-cfo that I need a $175 knife just to chop / slice veggies.
I guess at this point, it comes down to the Carbonext or the Fujiwara. If I spend $150 I could get two Fujiwara, one SS and one Carbon or I could just spend an extra $25 and get the Takamura.

There are several good recommendations above - a lot to choose from. Hope you'll consider the offerings of the site sponsors as you shop. JKI, Korin and Epicurean Edge are all US based and provide great support.

I like the Carbonext and that one was recommended by Koki. I like the look and the metal but some of the reviews are mixed. Kind of hard to determine if I should take a chance with it or go another route.
The Takamura is fine but will probably wait until next year to get it just to give me some time on sharpening stones. Plus I need to convince the co-cfo that I need a $175 knife just to chop / slice veggies.
I guess at this point, it comes down to the Carbonext or the Fujiwara. If I spend $150 I could get two Fujiwara, one SS and one Carbon or I could just spend an extra $25 and get the Takamura.
I think you'd do better to get one good knife instead of a couple that are decent (Fujiwaras) but nothing special.

I absolutely love my hiromoto as. I would recommend it to anyone starting out.

Get one knife. The Hiromoto AS is a quality knife for the money, Sharpens up easy & holds a pretty good edge+ when the edge patina's it looks cool like a Hamon line on a sword.

Another option is the Gesshin Uraku at Japanese Knife Imports. Quality stainless around 60Hrt. comes with a wooden saya nice knife for the coin.

Back