Hat Trick!!!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
Several first for me....
First 14 inch Slicer.
First Western Handle.
First Colour case hardened damascus.
First Handle/blade completely removable for maintenance.

Thats more than a Hat Trick? :D

_MG_4238.jpg_MG_4239.jpg_MG_4242.jpg_MG_4243.jpg_MG_4244.jpg

More pics to come when Photobucket starts working again,,,, grrrrr

Thanks Guys, having picture problems, lets try some more direct uploads...

_MG_4246.jpg_MG_4251.jpg_MG_4250.jpg_MG_4249.jpg

That's a really nice butt!
More pics please!!!!
Holy Crap!

That's really something Will and I love the handle. And yes, nice butt.

Thanks Guys, handle is Curly birch, Bog oak spacer then the end cap piece in Buckeye. Red and nickel silver spacers. The Bolster, mosaic damascus in steel and pure nickel.
This one is going to live Down Under.:biggrin:

At the risk of repeating myself , this may be the coolest knife I've seen from you. Any chance there's more colored Mokume in the future. I love that bolster.

You sir, have out done yourself here. One of the most beautiful knives I've seen! Well done!

Incredible work Will! Hope you dont post it to the wrong address by mistake,lol.

In fact, I'm going to need to know who's getting this gem, so I can start sending ransom notes saying "give me the knife if you ever want to see your cat/dog again"

Raising the Bar yet again..Congratulations to you and the lucky owner. Fabulous Work.

That's a really nice butt!
More pics please!!!!
Holy Crap!

Interesting concept of ability to remove handle for maintenance or even have spare handles just for teh sake of having a diff handle. Only read about it and hv not seen any before.

I dont see any removable pin on the body length of the handle adn thus I can only assume that there shld be an orifice on the "fancy" butt? Curious as to how it is secured.

Excellent work...again

rgds
d

Will,

Beautiful work! To think of where you came from to where you are now with your skill is absolutely inspiring! I can definitely see your inspirations with Western style handles, well played!

Thanks Guys. The tang of the knife is extended with a 5mm stainless threaded section. The tang sits inside a slotted dowl in the handle which runs most of the way through the bolster. Front of the bolster has a precise slot to fit the tang. To make the fit up very solid the rear of the knife has a specially machined brass sleeve which is epoxied in place and buts up against the dowl. The thread passes through this and my machined stainless screw goes inside this and pulls the tang in tight when tightened. This is like a large Corby bolt except I have used a brass sleeve into which it seats. The slot inside the dowl running through the knife is epoxy bedded making the fit very precise with no movement.
This is not intended for an interchangeable handle system. I can't see any use for this in custom knives and each tang would be a custom fit for each handle. It is simply so if in the future the knife needs serious thinning work, the blade can be removed, worked on and re-etched easily. Also It is yet a bit unproven how well the Bluing will fair in constant kitchen use and being handled constantly the bluing could wear away in a similar way to say the trigger part of a shotgun. This means I can easily remove the handle and etch the damascus part on the ferrule should the bluing get a bit thin and the pattern lost.
Although the fit is precise, I will use a smear of silicon on the base of the rear bolt and at the tang bolster to stop and moisture getting in and rusting the tang.
This was really a side effect of the precise fit up needed to have the bolster as a retro fit after the polishing and bluing, I could have left the bolt proud and ground flush as final finish, but it ended up being such a sturdy fit I thought why not leave it removable for future convenience.

I keep coming back to look at this one. So beautiful. ...The handle shape is kinda Rader-esque and we all know how good they feel in hand.
Amazing work Will.

Is it me, or us that colored mosaic bolster reduclously cool. I hope there's some way we can incorporate something like that Will.

This Unique piece of which I am hugely proud is Currently for Sale or trade here....

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/23231-14-quot-Catcheside-Slicer

I had hoped it would be having a full and active life Cutting neat kangaroo steaks, but Ferry decided he could not bring himself to abuse it in a pro kitchen. It is however built for hard use, with my finest steels, the handle is actually removable for thinning and servicing, making maintenance very easy on this knife.

I would like to assure my continued guarantee and advice to the potential lucky new Owner, and I will go as far as to give a first free tune up, ( buyer pays shipping)..so the New owner can give it some proper use and know it can be made like new as it is now.

Good luck with the Sale Ferry, (VIP) :)

Back