who's in the DC area?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just took a job at the W hotel in DC, will be moving there next month, would like to meet up with some KKFers. will try to get knyfeknerd to come visit often as well.

I live in Arlington, VA about 5 blocks from the hospital and a mile from the East Falls Church Metro stop. I would be happy to meet up somewhere or have some people over. I've bought way too much wine recently - I need to start drinking up some of the older stuff:D

Keep us informed, the restaurant looks like it will be an excellent place to work.

i'm a restaurant guy at heart, but i need banquet experience so will be doing that primarily. however, i'll be filling in @ pinea once in a while.

bill, tkern, costa, lets set something up where we can all get together sometime next month? like showing me where all the great spots to eat are at :D for example, i want some fresh blue crab!

I can make it easy -- eat at tkern's place, costa's place and chuckthebutcher's place. Then head to Baltimore, Hon, and eat at marc4pt0's place. Plenty of other places in the DC area, too. Any idea yet where you will be living?

well sure i'll be doing that in due time, but i mean the hidden gem spots that are good for one item. best place for pho, best place for pizza, ribs, etc. no clue where to live, would like to stay in the city but not pour half my pay into rent either, i dont mind living in less savory neighborhoods.

like showing me where all the great spots to eat are at :D for example, i want some fresh blue crab!
The Seafood Market in Southwest! Or you can head out to some places around Annapolis and eat next to the water.

A few cool restaurants (too cool to take reservations--you stand in line before they open, or show up, put your name on the list, and wait a couple hours for a table): Toki Underground (ramen), Little Serow (Thai--Northeastern), and Rose's Luxury.

I'm out in Rockville--there are some good Chinese places out this way.

It would be nice to get together. Costa, Todd, etc and I still haven't met. Is Panda's incoming becoming the DC gathering foretold in other threads?

Youse pro guys are the ones who throw a wrench into this, as some of you are off on Wednesdays, some Thursday and some Mondays. And NONE of you on weekend days. It will likely take a series of dinners, etc. so all can meet.

Hidden gem spots... That's gotten tougher the last few years as the food scene in the area has finally blossomed. The ramen and Thai places Todd mentioned are some of what is probably only a handful in DC, as the City has been getting taken over by celebrity chefs, etc. But those two places are small, and typically have long waits. Some areas such as Adams Morgan have a nice mix of tiny ethnic places. Up-and-coming areas like Brightwood, Shaw, etc. are starting to see some nice 'modern american' types of places open. There are some ethnic standouts in DC still, such as Ethiopian, but most are in the Va and Md suburbs. Pho restaurants abound, as do Peruvian chicken and Salvadorian places. Pizza is everywhere, with a handful of standouts peppered through DC plus an odd one here or there in Arlington and Falls Church.

The areas where the 20&30-somethings have flocked have a lot of dining options, many of which are very solid, although not outstanding. The beer list is often a big selling point on these places.

Your ability to travel around the area a bit will likely drive developing a good list of must-trys.

Hey, Panda. Come to Annapolis and I'll find you some blue crabs and we can fantasy football trash talk. Looks like we face off week 6. Sad to say I have yet to make it to anyone's restaurant yet. Get to B'more more often than DC and Marc's is on my list.

There might be a bus from the New Carrollton Metro station to Annapolis.

Nah man, driving in DC is a breeze!

It's something I like to do to relax.

The light traffic, respectful driving habits, lack of construction, and easy-to-understand layout.... ahhh, I love it.

If you want the fresh off the boat, creek view, brown paper tablecloth, whack with a mallet, lick the spice off your fingers experience I'd suggest Cantler's.

I don't like crabs but if the Annapolis trip does not pan out I can offer fresh crabs. My Dad lives on a tributary (Mill Creek) to the bay down in the Northern Neck and is friends with several of the smaller crabbers. If we came up with a date I could have him come up with crabs that were caught that day, Oysters too;). He grows his own oysters but his are too small right now. Maybe an afternoon would work better since evenings are hard; or maybe a Mon when some restaurants are closed.

I don't like crabs but if the Annapolis trip does not pan out I can offer fresh crabs. My Dad lives on a tributary (Mill Creek) to the bay down in the Northern Neck and is friends with several of the smaller crabbers. If we came up with a date I could have him come up with crabs that were caught that day, Oysters too;). He grows his own oysters but his are too small right now. Maybe an afternoon would work better since evenings are hard; or maybe a Mon when some restaurants are closed.

That sounds totally awesome! I would love to join in an event like this. Or find a direct local source for fresh crabs and oysters!

So panda were you thinking mid October? If this is going to happen I need a week or so to make sure I can get my Dad up here with the goods (that sounds illegal). That would also mean a pretty accurate head count. They are cheaper down there, but still not cheap:)

Steamed Crabs, raw oysters, grilled oysters, beer (lot's of beer), maybe some strip steaks and red wine. I'm drooling at the thought.

I did a little recon today. Chef Costa/ Zaytina still kick serious butt. Plus Mike had a giant kuro-ichi knive he just brought back from Turkey. Once again we threw ourselves at the chefs' mercy, and we must have had close to 20 plates. It was the first time my mom experienced how the pros here on KKF welcome forum members to their restaurants. :cool2:

Back