Help recommending workhorse gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo87

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all I need some help recommending a knife for a friend in a pro kitchen, I'm on my phone having issues with copying the questionnaire but I'll do my best

Knife: gyuto
Orientation: Right handed
Handle: wa handle
Steel: stainless, semi stainless or special tool steel
Length: 240
Budget : $400 (postage included)

He is looking to replace a 240 laser as he doesn't like the stiction of the flat grind.
So a workhorse, thin behind the edge but thick at the spine with nice distal taper, Preferably flatter profile , food release is highly important to him. Not too concerned about ultimate sharpness, edge retention very important. He's a confident freehand sharpener. Knife to be an all round workhorse used on poly boards in a pro kitchen

I let him know it might be hard to find a wa handled knife that meets those specs, he said he's open to a western handle

When I first saw this I thought Itinomonn(sp?). Still do. I liked the one Knerd is passing around quite a bit. And it would leave some coin for a stone.

That's the western v2 version right? I also borrowed one recently great workhorse! although he is not interested in carbon at all even with stainless cladding.
I noticed there's a Itinomonn StainLess Kasumi 240mm Wa Gyuto which looks pretty good although at 165 g would Probobly be too light think he would prefer closer to 200g
Perhaps I should just email maxim :)
Any other ideas?

[video=youtube;0wHVJV5iEyk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wHVJV5iEyk[/video]

show him this; there's something freakishly awesome about being able to split a sweet potato with so much ease.

Craig which one do you own? How do you like it as a workhorse? Kurouchi finish would help with stiction. Thicker spine knives with rough sides & tall chisel grind type bevels= less stiction.

tanaka ginsanko, and it's cheap. can use the savings to send it off to someone for some fit & finish work (plus initial thinning) and rehandle.

Yeh that Tanaka is just what was talking about. It has a Ho wood D handle with Buff. Horn not bad & if guy is a good sharpener can do own thinning.

Thanks for the recommendations,
Although the itononmon "stainless" looks too light weight I'll check if maxim has any slightly heavier.
I've also sent an Email about a heiji.

Panda: the tanaka looks like a good option, i saw yours in an old thread, looked great! I could do the handle & spine/ choil. He would be fine to sort out the thinning.

I'll pass these 3 options onto him and see what he goes for.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back