Visiting Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
I'm heading to Japan for a couple of weeks in Feb next year. The main focus for the trip will be bonsai but as I also have an interest in Japanese kitchen knives I was hoping to fit in some related sight seeing if I have time.

The areas where I'll be staying are Tokyo, Takamatsu, Kyoto and Nagoya. I gather Sakai is the main center for knife production? Can anyone suggest any makers or outlets or other areas of interest to try and visit whilst I'm there?

I know nothing, but my understanding is that dropping in is frowned upon (I believe they feel it is rude) at most shops. Either way I'm sure you will get some great advice/tips, hope you have a great trip!

I know nothing, but my understanding is that dropping in is frowned upon (I believe they feel it is rude) at most shops. Either way I'm sure you will get some great advice/tips, hope you have a great trip!

actual stores are ok (like masamoto tsukiji, aritsugu, etc.)... its the craftsmen's workshops that are often not set up for visits

If there for Bonsai you will have a good trip. Kyuto has beautiful gardens and temples.

Thanks guys - I think Kyoto would be my best opportunity for knife shopping. Some of my favourite makers are in areas I wont be visiting unfortunately. Does anyone have anything from Shigeharu?

If there for Bonsai you will have a good trip. Kyuto has beautiful gardens and temples.

Yes I'm looking forward to it! Will be there for the Kokufu-ten exhibition in Tokyo, as well visiting lots of bonsai nurseries and the Tokoname pottery area.

I'm also hoping to visit a couple of local craft brewery bars - another hobby of mine!

I live in osaka and can recommend shops to you. I've been to most if them in the kansai area. Are you looking for mainly knives or some scissors as well?

Craft breweries are fairly new here and can get expensive. You might check out minoh beer. Again I can recommend places in the osaka area.

Hi osakajoe. I dont really 'need' another knife(do we ever?), but figure I should get something whilst I'm there as a momento, possibly a 240mm gyuto or a sujihiki. Would be nice to get something from a maker that is maybe less well known in the west but good value for money? I'm also after a kiridashi or grafting knife to use with my bonsai trees.

I will be with a small group and have lots planned, I know we are staying in Kyoto for a few days but am not sure how much free time we will have to get to Osaka for shopping. The map posted above is very helpful though.

I looked at minoh beer online, the Beerbelly bar looks like the place to go!

I'm actually on vacation now in Washington and Oregon so only have my phone to reply. When I get back to Japan can write you a better pm. Is be more than willing to show you around and translate depending on the day

I'm actually on vacation now in Washington and Oregon so only have my phone to reply. When I get back to Japan can write you a better pm. Is be more than willing to show you around and translate depending on the day

Thankyou for the offer that is much appreciated! The trip will be in early febuary next year so plenty of time before then. I will know more about the details as it gets closer.

I'll also be heading to japan in the spring, so far osaka/kansai and tokyo. According to a number of sites, mizuno tanrenjo's shop and workshop is open to visitors and they show folks around. There's even a bilingual info sign out front stating what they do there, so I'm thinking I will visit when I am there in the spring, as there are a few interesting things to see in sakai as well. There's also a knife museum in sakai somewhere that might be of interest. I'm also looking to fill out the itinerary a bit more with some things not so well known to tourists, and of course, experience kuidaore and eat/drink ourselves into oblivion.

My experience with the retail shops in japan is that they are mostly overpriced compare to online shops (aritsugu, masamato etc), and I would recommend you make sure you check out some Rakuten shops as well. That said, the aritsugu shop in kyoto's nishiki market is awesome to visit. In tokyo, you can have some great fun at tsukiji market along with visiting aritsugu, masamato and nenoshi.

MetalMaster has nice stones and good priced knives. His name is Takeshi Kuroda and he is located in Kyoto. It's a hardware store/stone/knife shop. It's worth a shot, he also has synthetic stones.

I do believe buying a knife in Japan should be an adventure :) Buy the knife that you feel you will use most. Being able to hold a knife in hand is something we won't be able to experience or advise you on.

Go with what feels good.

Back