La Rondeau new favorite pot...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up a wide flat bottomed pot with low sides and loop handles called Rondeau.

Its definitely not a common size pot from Western pan manufacturers. I was poking around at Williams Sonoma a few a weeks ago and saw one, thought to myself, whats this used for. It's a new Thomas Keller inspired collection of pots and pans-I was intrigued.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-tk-d5-stainless-steel-tall-rondeau/

So I took it home and made, what else, Beef Bourguignon. Its like a Dutch Oven but has more surface area with lower sides (usually the sides are 1/3 as long as the width). My pan is 12 inches with four inch sides. I like how the low sides facilitate evaporation (when pan frying). I'm going to do a whole roast in it next.

I'm sure most Pro cooks are rolling their eyes, like I finally discovered sliced bread, right? That may be true, but I think its going to be useful shape for poaching, frying as well as roasting.

Curious what other cooks use this pot for?

To give you some sense of its form, here's a pic comparing it with some other pot shapes:

Top: 6 QT French Dutch Oven
Top Left: 5 QT Casserole
Center: 8QT Rondeau
Bottom Left: 2.5 QT Windsor Pan
Bottom Right: 3 QT Saucier

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1410801841.076918.jpg

The proportions on that aren't too uncommon. I've had several pans like that over the years, just not with loops. In fact, I'd guess it's not too different from your long handled PC.

maybe I'm dating myself Dennis, but I used to call that shape a brazier. I'd call out for a "big brazzier" if I needed one for the flat top behind the line. Pot of choice for lamb shanks, shorts ribs and braises. As always, you chose wisely.

I was thinking braising pan, size large. Like. Looks like the Keller line is going to be a WS exclusive.

That's a really common shape in pro kitchens where you can park a big one on four burners and go to town.

I also knew a dishwasher that renamed himself Rondeau, after the pot. I never knew his real name.

OH Yea Danny, I stand corrected, I never think about using the Pressure cooker as a stand along pot. Shame on me. But the Rikon PN is only 5 QT, the AC is 8

that's why you should have got the 8 qt Rikon! :rofl2:

I gotcha now though.

I also saw the TK collection Rondeau and really liked the way it looked. I had seen them on TV and was aware of them just didn't know what they were called. The line is really solid, around the same quality as the Demeyer at Atlantis pieces I picked up recently.

maybe I'm dating myself Dennis, but I used to call that shape a brazier. I'd call out for a "big brazzier" if I needed one for the flat top behind the line. Pot of choice for lamb shanks, shorts ribs and braises. As always, you chose wisely.

yep, what he said.

i had a cheaper pot that shape for a while..same dimensions. just never used it enough and gave it to my brother.

on a side note; you know you did excellent in a chef's life if you have All-Clad stamping your name on some of their products..dang..back up the Brinks Truck.

Back