Concave gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark76

Reaction score
I am in contact with a well renowned maker of kitchen knives. He nowadays makes concave gyutos instead of convex ones. I have no experience with concave gyutos. Does anyone? I am curious to know how it cuts and whether it is strong enough.

Best of both grinds? This one works well.

2014-02-21084322_zps4efa9433.jpg

Is that concave behind the edge and convex above the grind?

Concave spine to edge works if you're cutting something that's taller than the knife, otherwise stiction is an issue. Concave sections (S grind. eg Shig) is more to my taste

Mirror finish by the maker, and concave within the convex is how I would describe it. Similar to an "S" grind.
It's really hard to see it clearly in the pic above, and even More difficult tryingto capture in a photo, but when you see it in person it's as clear as daylight.

Huh, that's an interesting approach. How do those thin back? Seems like the ridge would gradually wear down leaving you with a simple hollow edge after a while.

Concave spine to edge works if you're cutting something that's taller than the knife, otherwise stiction is an issue.

^^

This. Strong because the spine can be plenty thick. Thin behind the edge for a long time makes for some effortless cutting but can be very sticky on short items.

Hollow grinds work beautifully on short (edge to spine) knives, but I'd lean towards a combination (hollow into convex, or flat into convex) for best cutting performance. Straight convex has a habit of being fat BTE, and pure hollow for a gyuto could lead to issues with sticktion, or thinning down the road (even a hollow gets fat toward the spine).

Back