Japanese sink ID?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleue

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me find out more info on the sinks I always see in the various youtube videos I watch on fish breakdown. An example is down below. It seems to be quite common to have a dedicated sink designed for fish with both a ridge to accommodate a cutting board and a cut out in the front of the sink to accommodate knife work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[video=youtube;NrBjgFfeo4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrBjgFfeo4A[/video]

You can give JBro a big yell, he had some training at that restaurant with Chef Ueda-san.

[video=youtube_share;icOlud_bZik]http://youtu.be/icOlud_bZik?list=UUpgJbCAVxzDHKaKYeuGYyOA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;ZsuAmTq9WAw]http://youtu.be/ZsuAmTq9WAw?list=UUpgJbCAVxzDHKaKYeuGYyOA[/video]

what do you want to know about them? Health departments here dont like them so much

What is the health department beef? I've known people with big animal butchery programs to use floodable autopsy tables, and they haven't had any problems.

they seem to think its unsanitary to have the cutting board in the sink like that. I dont think it is... i happen to think its much cleaner, but on a number of occasions, that is what i have seen from them (the health dept.)

It comes out so you can sanitize it, right?

yeah... but i know quite a few people who have tried to have similar setups here and not been allowed

One of those with a big ice trough for storing fish between cooler and cutting, and for icing down pans of portions as you cut them would be the ideal fish station. I have the trough now, but the cutting board setup takes forever to get really clean between fish projects, or between scaling and cutting.

yeah... i totally get it. The sinks like this are really the best... i got so spoiled working with them when i was cooking in Japan. I actually just helped a restaurant here in CA get some of those flexible faucets for their fish station though... seems that was enough in this case.

We have a dish station style sprayer hooked up, it works ok.

I'd love to know if there is a US importer/distributor or manufacturer. I'm laying out a commercial kitchen now and would love to incorporate one and a flexible faucet if it isn't too cost prohibitive. Up in Oregon if that makes a difference.

The goal would be to have a set up with one of these sinks with a flexible sprayer and drain board on the side for a place to put a hotel pan full of ice. It would basically be taking the place of the primary food prep sink and the cutting board would be placed in there only when doing fish prep, so I doubt the health guys up here would even notice it was that much different than the standard prep sink.

Bump ttt on this one. This is exactly what I'm looking to put in our new house. I've got plans for a commercial prep station to take care of my catch, and this would make me very happy.

Back