Knife Rec: Gesshin Ginga vs. Kagero vs. Hattori FH vs. HHH Prod?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidSnake03

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I find myself in a tough but awesome spot. After a brief foray into WA handles I decided that I just find a Western more comfortable. Nothing personal against Wa's, just my hand seems to natural grip the Western more comfortably (well that and I've been using them almost exclusively for 20+ years).

Anyhow, I have about $250-$300 to spend on a new knife and am looking for an all around awesome cutting gyuto with great F&F in Stainless Steel (just like the ease of it). Looking for something that is a great cutter, nice food release, comfortable handle and nice F&F, the knife doesn't have to be feather light or crazy heavy. Just something I can use every day in my home kitchen and really enjoy using. I have a Victorinox 10in to use as a backup for any sorts of mean looking jobs.

Anyhow, the list in the title is what I can come up with so far. I'm left handed and mostly push cut, slice and chop. Not much if any rocking. Now that being said, which would you guys pick or why? Also, feel free to include any I am missing.....

*Bonus* easy to sharpen is a plus but shouldn't be considered more important than overall cutting ability and grind

Thanks!

I have the HHH production gyuto a d the AEB-L is pretty awesome and the handle is O e of the most comfortable I've ever used

The Hattori is a really nice piece, but I've always found the bolster too squared off, coming into the blade face, and thus didn't really click with it.

Anything Jon Stands behind, I believe in, and I've never hear a bad thing about the Kagero...for what it's worth....

Lucky you! Three solid options to choose from, none of which would be a wrong choice.

BTW - Why is Hattori on the list? :groucho:

I know any choice from Jon is a safe one its just how his choices match up to the other two performance wise.

The hattori is on the list because it fits the price, material and handle requirements. Also, out of the knives listed that one looks the best to me just asthetically speaking, looks like functional art. Not to say the others are poor, just that one is better.

That said, i do value performance more so hence the multiple choices...

I've owned all four. Get the Gesshin Kagero. Edge retention is superior and the softer cladding of the san mai construction is easier to thin than a mono steel knife.

Rick

I'm not at all surprised that Rick and I agree.

The Hattori has an amazing handle, but the blade needs some performance upgrades. I rounded the spine and thinned behind the edgea bit and was a much better knife. However, potatoes and such really stick to the blade which can be a hassle.

So just had a brief chat with jon earlier today and the Ginga is his fav out of the group. I definitely will be going with one of Jons, either the Ginga or the Kagero, both knives look great and i know have the performance to match. Additionally, i do really wnt to give my business to jon, awesome guy, super helpful and just comes out and says what he thinks. Top notch guy!

That no knock on the other knives/sellers, im sure they are amazing too, just that my personal experience with jon (via phone) has been steller.

Jons though on the Ginga over the Kagero was that it will move through food better and since im a home cook the crazy edge retention of the Kagero isnt really needed over the Ginga's thiness.

Anyhow, im still undecided, really want both.....

....well that would be the simple answer yes but financially that's a bit tricky. I mean true I could buy both with the intent of selling one off, whichever I didn't like as much but the upfront cost on that would be a bit...high

Although I am entertaining the idea at least

....well that would be the simple answer yes but financially that's a bit tricky. I mean true I could buy both with the intent of selling one off, whichever I didn't like as much but the upfront cost on that would be a bit...high

Although I am entertaining the idea at least

As much as I like the Gesshin Kagero, I defer to Jon's recommendation. Get the Gesshin Ginga, use it for a few months and determine what you like (and dislike) about it. Then, armed with this information, decide on your next knife, which may not even be a gyuto at all.

And try to get in on any pass arounds that you can. They are great ways to experience a knife without actually buying it.

Rick

This is very wise sounding advice. I actually went back and looked through the spec's on both knives in a 240mm Westerns and the dimensions of the Ginga I think are more to my liking as well. I have a 210mm Blue #2 Gyuto right now and at 45mm I find it a bit shorter than I would like. The Kagero is only 47 while the Ginga is 49, I think the 49 would be closer to what I want.

Also, I agree that trying the Ginga and learning from it would be a good option, I could see what my preferences are (if I miss the WA handle for any reason or just want to try it again) Or if I feel like I would like something a bit thicker in the spin that tapers to the edge like crazy (Kochi). Good points about it being a learning experience. Thanks!

On the WA handle thing, Jon did offer some great advice on how to hold it properly which may have accounted for my cool impressions of the Sakai Yusuke's WA. The handle was finished excellently and beautiful just could never find a good grip on it which logically may have been my own naivety with the style. Either way, what's done is done and the knife is at its new home.

Anyhow, I think I may give the Ginga Western 240mm a shot. Either knife I know would be great so I do take some comfort and confidence in that. Also, on a super vain note, I love the look of the Kanji on the Ginga!

Nice choice!

As I mentioned to you a few days ago, I freakin' love the Kochi I'm getting to use, but it is a bit more maintenance, and isn't a western, so not right for you. That's the thing, and the reason there are so many amazing options out there; Everyone likes something different from someone else. There are a battery of terrific knives to choose from, and finding the right one for you is half the fun.

Enjoy your new knife, and let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks Lefty, yup the Kochi is something I will definitely keep my eye on for maybe sometime later on down the road (and if I try wa again). I will be sure to post a review here once I have enough time to really test out the knife. Plan to order it later today or tomorrow, thanks KKF! (and Jon of course)

My amazing Wife bought me a Ginga 270mm White #2 gyuto for Christmas last year and I absolutely love it. They really are amazing performers, so that is what I would recommend.

Thanks pete!

I'm really excited about this purchase, more so than anything I have bought in quite a while to be honest (knife or otherwise). Can't wait for this bad boy to show up! :D

Back