Do i need another stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaninMD

Reaction score
Wondering if i need another stone.

my main stones that i use for knife sharpening are a 1k grit Super naniwa and a 6k Suehiro stone. I feel like i might need a 3k/4k type stone. 6k just feels too fine for most applications. I have a Hiro AS gyuto (carbon core) and a Tanaka Petty (stainless) that i put on the 6k. I also have some cheaper stainless knives but those get finished on my 1k stone.

Do you think i need a new stone? if so are the imanishi stones any good? i see a 4k for about $50

thanks Chuckles, will check that one out. looks nice though

ouch $17 shipping and I'm one state away.

Any other recommendations for a 3k range stone??

is there any way to get a blue aoto stone?? sold out everywhere it seems. from reading reviews and discussions on here it seems like that would be a very good option for me?

If you don't already have a lower grit stone like a 300 - 500, I'd say you need one. They are great for thinning and to start your progression with as it makes sharpening much more efficient. As for finishing stones, you have it covered. 6K is a great place to stop at. I don't think you'll gain much with a 3 or 4K stone over the 6K.

yep, already got lower grit stones (quite a few actually) as well as many stones above 6k as well. I think i might hold out to try and find a synthetic blue aoto.

does $86 with shipping sound about right for this stone?

That's about what I paid for mine. It does a great job with my 440C Chicago cutlery knives as a finish stone.

I shellaced all but one face of mine, and keep it dry except when in use. Too many reports of fractures, so I decided to treat it like a natural stone.

Peter

Back