Another gyuto to get!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toufas

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? gyuto

Are you right or left handed? right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) it depends on reactivity, my only experience with a pure carbon blade is the tojiro shirogami, and that is really reactive! I am ok with stainless cladding.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? up to 450? I would prefer paying a bit less?

KNIFE USE
This will be used in a pro enviroment.
Some prep work will be done with this knife, from filleting salmon, to prepping vegetables. One of the most "demanding" aspects of this job is slicing paper thin spring onions for garnish. We are talking about A LOT of spring onions and a lot of board contact

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I currently own the following knives : global gs8, global g17, global g10, 3 henckels various sizes, 1 damascus VG10 steel 19cm that somebody got me from japan, 1 Tojiro-DP Gyuto-Honesuki-Nakiri, few fibrox handles victorinox, Hiromoto gyuto 240mm, Goko Damsacus 210mm Gyuto, TOJIRO Shirogami santoku 165mm-kiritsuke 240mm-gyuto 210mm, Murata Buho 165mm Nakiri and one sakai kama usuba from bluewayjapan.
At my work bag I have the hiromoto, the goko, the buho and either a fibrox chefs knife or the tojiro dp gyuto along with a dickoron steel.
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) I alternate between all three

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) rocking but ideally I want to learn to use push cutting

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I want a knife that will be able to hold the edge for a long time, and I won't have to sharpen every week. I am after a japanese handle, as I think they are more comfortable to hold. I would like a very good edge out of the box, really good food release, not that much reactivity with food and ease of sharpening.
I would like a saya with this knife

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) synthetic cutting work boards :(

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes, with an edge pro with shapton glass stones up to 8k. I would like a 50-50 grind on the knife. I have the double sided norton stones up to 8k but I am not that willing to use them as I prefer the edge pro in edge uniformity.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

This will be a gift from my girlfriend. She told me to make her a list of 3-5 knives and she will get me one of them. Ideally I would like something from EU as I really don't want her to pay custom fees if getting them from overseas, but I will get something from the states or japan if I have to. I was thinking from something from maksim, cuttingedge, japanese knife company or even jck and then to some other us based suppliers (or even ebay from japan?)

I saw that but I would prefer something heavier I think.

Takeda AS stainless clad fits your criteria.
Heiji semi - stainless perhaps is an option. But its on a thicker side, can have wedging issues on larger objects.
Konosuke Fujiyama (not sure abt spelling) in blue steel has nice reviews.

The takeda and the fujiyama are exactly spot on, with the takeda looking a bit better as it has that amazing height!
Now if I could find a supplier in the EU for one of them...

Would the yoshiaki fujiwara be ok for what I want?

What do you like and dislike about you Hiromoto AS 240 and what kind of improvement do you require?
I dony like the uneven grind that it has a long with the uneven cladding. I would prefer a wa handle, bettet good release and a bit more of the balance to the middle front I think.
But it's a really good knife and i am using it daily

I have actually contacted them about this and I've been told that they will have the stainless one as well soon.

The stainless clad Itinomonn is an excellent recommendation.

Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato) cladding is not particularly reactive. If you want good food release, can live with a heavy knife, and have the readies, it's a no brainer.

I had a Takeda (2008 vintage, before the QC issues). I wouldn't buy another one, even more so at £265 for a 240mm. Ymmv.

What kind of quality issues takeda had?

I might be able to get another knife after all
Is the Itinomonn non stainless that much reactive? Is it the just the exposed edge? Food release looks great.
Is the belly good enough for rock chopping or the stainless is better for that?
I really like the extra height of the non stainless one

Reactivity not a problem. The edge will patina and then be stable.

If you like the profile, get it. Someone will be along soon enough to tell you not to rock your J-knives. You can ignore them, these do not need to be babied.

Back