Quantcast
Discoloration/stains on konosuke HD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discoloration/stains on konosuke HD

Discoloration/stains on konosuke HD

My gyuto has some stains on it....it doesn't look nice like a patina would....they actually look like water spots you see on silverware you don't wipe properly.

I generally take pretty good care of not leaving the knife wet for long but not really sure where these came from. Having a hard time getting these out, any suggestions? I've tried Barkeepers friend to no help.

Also, a friend gave me a little rubbery eraser thingy for removing some rust. I used it to clean up and remove the patina on one of my carbon knives. Didn't look exactly like rust but alittle too yellow and made me concerned... What is this little thing called? BTW I tried it on a small spot on my konosuke and now instead of a round stain, there is a 1 square inch "scratch"....good job by me....

I'm wondering if this "scratch" is the original colour my knife was but I can't remember.

These are all only visible at certain angles. (coincidentally the angle that I see when I look down at my knife as I'm using it)

Engorged Member
    Funny...I thought these were tools. My knives have a lot of "soul". I think its weird people work on keeping their knives pristine. My knives are clean but all, including my stainless have some type of patina.

I like my patinas. These just look dirty and they bug me! They look exactly like watermarks and after the hard time I give waiters about keeping glasses and cutlery watermark free I feel a need to get these off

this happens to the semi-stainless steels (at least every one i have ever tried)... you can try to polish them out, but no matter what you do, they will come back at some point

there is no negative effect from this... just doesnt look as pretty

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I like my patinas. These just look dirty and they bug me! They look exactly like watermarks and after the hard time I give waiters about keeping glasses and cutlery watermark free I feel a need to get these off
    For the stains, try some toothpaste on a paper towel. You can also try NevrDull polishing wadding and if that doesn't work, white polishing compound.

The abraded patch you put on with the "eraser" will take a bit of work with a Micro-Mesh pad.

Rick

Don't fight the patina! It is your friend!

I grew up with carbon knives, and I don't like when carbon knives are only ever shown in shiny pristine condition. They are like that for about a week, and then patina riddled for the next 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    this happens to the semi-stainless steels (at least every one i have ever tried)... you can try to polish them out, but no matter what you do, they will come back at some point

there is no negative effect from this... just doesnt look as pretty
    Ok no problem at least I know it is normal for semi-stainless. To be honest I think I would rather have the white#2 konosuke since I think patina looks good but these "water spots" are pretty ugly. Oh well, I'll just let it go.

I have the same thing on my Ichi TKC...they do stain less, but the stain does look like water spots. Personally I think trying to polish out or remove stains or patina open up the pores, resulting in more stain.

My Devin Thomas ITK Western Gyuto also has a small stain.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

My TKC has quite a bit of these stains going on, give it some time and they will blend together.