Quantcast
Discoloration/stains on konosuke HD - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discoloration/stains on konosuke HD

I have experienced this with my HD. The first "spot" literally drove me crazy, and it seems, there is no removing them. Now months later, the entire blade is covered with hazy spots, so it looks almost evenly worn, and it no longer bothers me.

I'm not sure why, but its not the same as carbon patina, which can be quickly removed with some lite rubbing; this stuff seems to be deep in the steel.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Not sure if it's the same but my Hattori FH has loads of little tiny brown dots on it and it's stainless. They won't come off at all

I just gave up trying to get rid of the stains on my TKC and soaked the whole thing in mustard for about an hour...smells like a carbon knife now and it's dark gray

On my kono HD, on the edge it looks like chips in the blade when you look straight onto it, so i got the magnifying glass out to make sure and it looks like little spots of rust along the edge in about 3 locations which im concerned about, i dont quite understand why this would happen im going to sharpen it today to remove it but does anyone know what would cause this? I dont leave it wet i always wipe my blade after use and make sure it throughly dry before putting it away.

I also have the discoloration on the blade but that i was expecting.

in a saya, i normally rinse it with hot water, clean completely dry it and i let it sit out to make sure its dry while i clean up and then wipe it down again and place it in the saya and then in my knife bag. If it helps im in fl and we have lots of humidity down here idk if thats could be the cause. but its only on the tip part of the edge no where else.

I just touched it up on the 6k and removed it all looks fine now but im not sure why that happened.

The last wipe down prolly left a smidge of moisture. The inside of the saya might be harboring some moisture as well.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

It sounded like maybe you had it in a magnetic sheath thingy. Those things will rust a blade bad if given half a chance. I've got nothing more to add here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    It sounded like maybe you had it in a magnetic sheath thingy. Those things will rust a blade bad if given half a chance.
    Sheaf thingies in general? Or Magnetic sheath thingies in particular? If the latter, I'm curious as to why that would be?

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Sheaf thingies in general? Or Magnetic sheath thingies in particular? If the latter, I'm curious as to why that would be?

The flexible magnetic ones that flip open and have exposed magnets on the inside are the ones I'm talking about, I can't remember who makes them though, they're very popular nonetheless .

+ Reply to Thread