Ringed Gidgee - 34 Large Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Today I posted 34 new blocks of Natural Australian Ringed Gidgee in our store.
These pieces have a medium to darkish brown coloring with nice ringed figure and a metallic luster. Gidgee is in the Acacia family with Koa so there are some similarities in appearance. Since it grows in arid, desert like conditions it is a dense and hard wood similar to desert Ironwood. Prices on these blocks range from about $50 up to $65 depending on how nice the figure and coloring looked. Use the coupon code forum during check out for a 10% forum discount. No questions asked, money back guarantee.
Shipping is $5 for US Priority Mail, $20 for International Priority Mail, or Free Shipping for orders over $100.

Click on the photo to go to where these new blocks are located in our store.

These blocks were a little over a year old when I got them several months ago but the moisture content was still in the low teens. So I put them in my dehumidification drying room and forgot all about them. A little while back one of the forum members sent me a note asking about them, so I cut a few to check the moisture content inside and got readings of 8% to 10%. Even though these are dry, it would be best to give them a little time to acclimate to where you live. A few weeks should be fine but some of the guys like to let natural wood sit longer just to play it safe.

Most of these blocks will have some very fine hairline surface checks that are too small to see in the photos. You usually can't see this sort of thing until you have sanded finer than 220 grit and the light hits from the right angle. This photo shows the largest one in the whole batch. It was the only one large enough for me to be able to see it in the photo. If any fall within your handle area it is easy to make them disappear with a drop or two of thin CA glue. The same sort of thing that you do with Ironwood. Just a lot smaller and finer.

check_zps925f4b84.jpg

Back