Quantcast
Custom Damascus Sujihiki 288mm. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Damascus Sujihiki 288mm.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Randy, there is some serious detail work that went into that! It looks great.

+1 and check out the mosaic pins - all lined up in the same direction! Nice

Thank you all very much for the kind words and encouragement.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    +1 and check out the mosaic pins - all lined up in the same direction! Nice
    Thanks for noticing. I guess im a little fanatical about the details..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Randy, this knife is a work of art! I can't wait to see the next one, and the one after that and the one after that....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Lefty, Thanks much.. We are busy working on a couple right now and have another 8" damascus chef coming up shortly.. Ill try and post photos and stuff when I can.. Again Thanks for the kind words..

Randy

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Little accordion action going on there. Very nice.

Thanks *******. Appreciate the comment!

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Randy,

As nice as the filing along the spine and tang are (crazy hot), I'd be worried about "muck" collecting in the spaces between the tang and the scales -- especially on a kitchen knife. Are the gaps filled at all, or left as-is?

Vertigo, Iv said i B4 and Ill say it again, Nothin, and I mean nothin that adds to the look of a custom knife like some Slick filework.. I just love the way it sets off a knife..

But you pose a good question.

After thinking about this from both sides. I dont fill my filework.
    The reason I dont is, I figure that by filling the area with say Epoxy, I cant be 100% sure that at some point it may fail (even a little). Maybe, it shrinks just enough to cause a little separation from the blade or handle. it could open up a small crack, a pocket so to speak. That could allow moisture or "muck" to get under the filler.. Which at this point, probably wont be seen.. meaning it could not be easily cleaned or dried or oiled, etc.. Which in turn as we know on a carbon steel blade, will cause rust and could even result in long term damage..

In my experiences, An informed Knife user will normally will take VERY good care of there knife if given the right info.. So I try my best to do just that.

Im sure there are many schools of thought about this. and probably the most common one would be, to not add filework to a knife intended for every day use in a kitchen. because of the obvious reasons. I also agree with this.. and only add it to "custom" kitchen knives... and only after I explain about care and maintenance.. If they still want it. Then its Game On!

Its a Knife Life!
    Randy

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Its a Jewel of a Knife Randy, well done to you and son of course for making the lovely Mascus.

+ Reply to Thread