Just another nakiri / usuba Question Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meccio

Reaction score
Hey guys I've been reading reviews and using this forum as a guide for a few weeks now! But I can't seem to make a choice for my 1st nakiri purchase so I thought I would register and maybe ask for some help!

I work as a sous-chef in Montreal, and we have a lot of vegetable prep to do on a daily basis so I thought it was time to upgrade my knife collection. I have used the global g-5 and absolutely love the feel but I wanted to upgrade the steel quality and "esthetics". We go through about 10kg of julienne'd leek daily, so it is important for me to have a "rounded-tip" for some rocking.

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Between 180-200mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Preferably something not too reactive

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
500$

I really love the zensho, shigefusa but they come in pretty rare to find!

I would be extremely happy with something like the Tojinbo looks:
89909_1_n.jpg

or tanaka damascus (but a bit longer blade)
tanaka_black_nakiri.jpg
but with a better steel that holds a better edge and eats through vegetables!

Thank you kindly for your time!

Welcome to KKF!

A nakiri longer than 180 mm is pretty rare. Shigefusa has made some, but all of the ones I've seen have been customs. Since your budget is $500, you might want to look into a custom, perhaps from one of your countrymen, Pierre Rodrigue. Get one in S35VN and you'll have a great knife.

If you can't wait on a custom, there are several 180 mm nakiris for you to consider. Shinichi Watanabe makes an aogami clad in stainless:
http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/nakkiri.htm

Shosei Takeda makes one in aogami super clad in either soft iron or stainless; the trick is finding one in stock:
http://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/takeda-large-nakiri-stainless-clad

Or, you can get the Tanaka you have posted a pic of. I don't know where you got the idea that the SG2/R2 steel used in it is not good steel, but let me say that you'd be hard pressed to find a better core steel. SG2/R2 takes and holds a killer edge. Just ask anyone who has used it. Problem is that it's only 165 mm.

Rick

I have the wantanabe and love it....and a fraction of your budget....I had custom handles put on mine (I have the matching santuko) and I was still under your budget.

Welcome to KKF!

A nakiri longer than 180 mm is pretty rare. Shigefusa has made some, but all of the ones I've seen have been customs. Since your budget is $500, you might want to look into a custom, perhaps from one of your countrymen, Pierre Rodrigue. Get one in S35VN and you'll have a great knife.

If you can't wait on a custom, there are several 180 mm nakiris for you to consider. Shinichi Watanabe makes an aogami clad in stainless:
http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/nakkiri.htm

Shosei Takeda makes one in aogami super clad in either soft iron or stainless; the trick is finding one in stock:
http://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/takeda-large-nakiri-stainless-clad

Or, you can get the Tanaka you have posted a pic of. I don't know where you got the idea that the SG2/R2 steel used in it is not good steel, but let me say that you'd be hard pressed to find a better core steel. SG2/R2 takes and holds a killer edge. Just ask anyone who has used it. Problem is that it's only 165 mm.

Rick

Actually, I think Rick sold me his Stefan-handled watanabe in '12....been very happy with it, great product.

I really like my Shig 180 but it is a lot heavier knife than most nakiri. That might be a good thing or bad thing depending on what you are expecting from the knife.

Keep going down the list of nakiris on Epicurean Edge to the maboroshi no meito 180mm nakiri, shirogami steel clad in stainless made by teruyasu fujiwara. $374. Looks beautiful, but I have not used it. Looks like it fits your criteria.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I have been working with pretty basic knives for almost 3 years (shun classic chef, paring, utility and serrated) but also taking good care of them. A sharp knife can do great wonders, but I allowed myself a budget of 500$ hoping I can find an even better blade out there. I am in love with nakiri's but I am a brand spankin' newbie to the whole metallurgy aspect of blades. What big differences does one see from the shig 180mm, watanabe or takeda brand? We are ranging from 250 to 550$.. Does the steel really play a big role or are we paying for brand names / styles?

I would love to eventually get a customized blade, but for now I want something to put to work in the very near future… I am an extremely perfectionist cook when it comes to vegetable prep, so I am aiming for a reliable, resistant, ergonomic and sharp companion. Having a knife in hand 4-6 hours per day makes me very picky! Maybe that's why I seem to be a bit over-budget, but I mind when I consider such an investment might be a game changer in the short-term and possibly long-term aspect of my career.

While discussions about steel are interesting, its the maker's reputation, that drives the cost of a knife. Knife makers try to differentiate their product from the competition. Carter and Takeda make a very thin knife. Watanabe is a thicker knife, but is still an excellent cutter.

The trick is identifying your needs and then finding a maker that does the best job of meeting those needs. Some people value edge retention, others sharpness, while others might prefer ease of sharpening. My preference is edge retention. Of those knifes you mentioned, I'd be interested in the Tanaka.

Jay

i have a maxim's itonomon v2 stainless clad nakiri. Very godo F&F, I love it.

Aren't heiji nakiri sold out almost everywhere?

Are you guys able to get a rocking motion going with a "squarer" blade tip?

Nakiri and Usuba aren't designed for a rocking motion. they are designed for push/pull and chopping motions, where the edge is kept parallel to the board throughout each cut.

Of course, you're free to use them as you see fit, but not many folks here use rocking with any of their knives.

I use a lot chopping motions, but sometimes a rocking motion is needed too...

I'm torn between the Takeda and Tanaka, by the video reviews on CKTG it seems the takeda has a sharper edge and much less food retention on the blade than the tanaka. But the tanaka has the blade height and rounded tip I want... Perhaps I should go with the Takeda, maybe its not worth spending so much on my first nakiri if it doesn't meet my dream knife criteria..

I have the wantanabe and love it....and a fraction of your budget....I had custom handles put on mine (I have the matching santuko) and I was still under your budget.
+1, I really dig my watanabe pro 180 nakiri. The standard handle feel nice, but I can see that a new handle would make the knife shine.
(Only minor comment is that the spine and choil should be eased a bit.)

I like the Watanabe pro 180, got one recently and have no regrets.
I have never tried an Itinomonn nakiri, but since the gyutos are so nice, i guess there would be no reason the nakiris from Maksim wouldn't be great too.
Another option is the Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka (super blue) http://www.teruyasu.net/products/detail_15.html
At his site it only shows 165mm length, but i would give it a shot and send him an e-mail asking him if he would do a custom one for you. Mine at 165mm, he had no problems about not putting the finger rest and using a wa handle. The only problem is the price. A custom may go north of your 500 dollar limit.

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips and recommendations. I went with a hunch and some minor pitch sales from Maxim and ordered the Yoshiaki Fujiwara Nakiri Kurouchi 180mm with a dark-colored custom handle. I can't wait to put it to the test at my restaurant!

Back